CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

nxe

13th January 2021, 22:14
Could someone give me a very gentle steer on some elements of Coincidence by Mr E?

I have a full grid and understand A, B and C as referred to in the preamble. I've also noticed a coincidental relationship between the parts of the two thematic elements that sit inside the grid. D and E are causing me a bit of headscratching though.

Regarding D, would I be right in thinking a down clue in the bottom left quadrant changes its first letter for another vowel to give the non-word for D (leading to an across answer becoming a synonym as required)? If so, I cannot see how to interpret the non-word at all. Any gentle steers that might get me moving in the right direction again would be very much appreciated.
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

candledave

14th January 2021, 11:04
Don't you know the first rule of Magpie Club...... ;)

fwiw I'm in the pretty much the same place as you but it seems that commenting on Magpie on forums is frowned upon (although not sure by who) - happy to share thoughts 'offline' if you fancy and have an email?
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

nxe

14th January 2021, 11:39
Fair enough, thanks :) Maybe some divine inspiration will hit me at some point before February!
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

candledave

14th January 2021, 11:42
Good luck - I’m hoping for the same!
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

candledave

14th January 2021, 15:05
nxe - because of your question, I dug out my copy and had another go and after about half an hour, I cracked it.

All I will say is that you are on the right path.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

nxe

14th January 2021, 17:00
Aha got it now, had a eureka moment while chopping parsnips. Relief!
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

candledave

14th January 2021, 17:21
Good stuff!
7 of 7  -   Report This Post