CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

prospero

26th December 2020, 18:09
only partially (and tangentially). You need to get 17 - westward is the clue.
21 of 34  -   Report This Post

dismantledking68

26th December 2020, 18:12
I’ve got 17 and an none the wiser
22 of 34  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th December 2020, 18:15
All the across clues except for 17 are missing something in common in the wordplay, indicated by 17. Several, but not all, are Egyptian.
23 of 34  -   Report This Post

dismantledking68

26th December 2020, 18:18
Ok I think I get it, thanks Chrise
24 of 34  -   Report This Post

abicoop

26th December 2020, 20:22
Hope everyone enjoyed a good day yesterday even if the ever-changing restrictions prevented us being with the people we would have liked to celebrate with.
Others may have found this prize too easy, but I quite enjoyed having an easier ride this week whilst trying to contend with the chaos of two overexcited little children and a house that now resembles the aftermath of an explosion in Hamleys.
First in was 2d, which then led to 17a at which point I could crack the theme and the rest could fall into place. LOI was 25, not sure about a COD, none of them really stuck out, maybe 14d for some nice misdirection.
25 of 34  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th December 2020, 21:31
I just got to this because of extended power outage at home. Not a bad puzzle, but I completed 95% of it (setting aside parsing) ignoring the theme, which I didn't bother to figure out until only 2 words were left. Then parsed and had to correct my guess for 10 after seeing the theme. LOI was 14 (good one, probable COD), which isn't even thematic!
Enjoyed the puzzle, but perhaps a bit too easy to figure out independent of the theme.
26 of 34  -   Report This Post

glaucus

27th December 2020, 10:06
Sorry, I’m still mystified by 25a. Is screen the definition? Is a pipe-playing god involved?
27 of 34  -   Report This Post

richardk

27th December 2020, 10:19
Definition is “small parts on screen”
28 of 34  -   Report This Post

jaffra

27th December 2020, 14:48
I rarely contribute to the forum. By the time I get round to tackling the crossword, late Saturday or more often Sunday, any contributions I could make, either giving or (more often) asking for helpful hints, have been covered by others.
I started quite quickly, including 17A, but then came to a halt. 18A had an obvious answer, but I could not parse it and it is a former capital not a current one, which puzzled me.
I had not read the small print, which gave the theme. When I did it all immediately became clear. Contrary to some of the posters, I concentrated on the across clues before the down ones, and found it moderately difficult, but completed it without reference to the forum. I have just one problem left: I can't parse 9A. Again there can only be one Arab answer, but I can't find a god to fit in, and two letters for intelligence seem to be reversed. Clarification, please.
re last week's discussion of prizes, when I first started to do the crossword, many decades ago, it could only be submitted by post, and there was no online forum. The first prize was Chambers dictionary - well worth winning - and five runners-up of £5 book tokens. I won one of the latter but had to wait decades for more success: the Style Guide and Secrets of the Setters. The former is useful, though I suspect that many Guardian journalists have never read it.
29 of 34  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th December 2020, 14:51
hi jaffra
the god is included within the intelligence
30 of 34  -   Report This Post