CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

20th December 2020, 17:29
I didn't get much chance to look at the crossword yesterday. My daughter came to wrap presents and put up some Cards and decorations as I'm still one-armed. On the plus side I'm in tier two, but must offset against this, that I can't get the pain under control after my op. Furthermore, I did venture into town on Friday, where I fell on my face and now have two magnificent black-eyes. All this is an excuse for not getting on very well.

But I'll persevere a bit longer. Please can I have a hint for a couple. I have got the theme.

17ac French company, backing home that will go up in smoke (10); and
9d It fixes dyes on 80yds of yarn at gallery (8,7) I have???? ??E???E

Happy Christmas everyone.
31 of 61  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th December 2020, 17:46
Hi Roof,

Can't help with the clues I'm afraid, I didn't do the puzzle. Just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery, your fall sounds like it was a bad one - get well soon:-)
32 of 61  -   Report This Post

jono

20th December 2020, 17:47
Hi Roof, sounds like you’ve been in the wars, hope to feel better.
17a is a three letter word for company (as in meeting with people) in French around a three letter theme word, and a reversal of a word for home (as in to put in place)

9d is a chemical that literally fixes dyes. 80yards of yarn is the measure for exactly this and the gallery is in London (actually there are two). In the middle there are four letters for another of our slippery fellows
33 of 61  -   Report This Post

jono

20th December 2020, 18:01
I should have said that the definition for 17a is something that does indeed go up in smoke
34 of 61  -   Report This Post

jono

20th December 2020, 18:12
Ah! 17a, the reversed word for home is fact the home or den of an animal, it’s four letters (I made that mistake yesterday and forgot again!)
35 of 61  -   Report This Post

roof

20th December 2020, 18:27
Thanks Jono for your hints and Brendan for your good wishes.

I can only say that the staff in John Lewis in Exeter were marvellous at picking me up from the escalator and sitting me down.
36 of 61  -   Report This Post

freddycat

20th December 2020, 19:01
Battling through it but a bit stuck on the right-hand corner. Any hints on 10 down (Father and I leave Pedro some aromatic oil) - I have S---e-a--,
also 29ac ((American passes Chinese fellow and removes hat) -
I have -A---F--.
Also a hint for 1d (lot on boat) - I've got C--/-A--
Any help much appreciated.
37 of 61  -   Report This Post

jono

20th December 2020, 19:17
10d is an aromatic oil. Pedro implies a certain nationality from which remove pa and I, and a 4 letter theme word contained.

29a defn is American passes (sports), 3 letter Chinese name followed by 4 letter word for when you remove your hat

1d lot as in a piece of land used for a purpose. First 4 letters are theme, then 3 letters for boat
38 of 61  -   Report This Post

mattrom

20th December 2020, 19:19
Freddycat,
29a. Def. is 'passes', as in American football. (hyphenated)
A word for 'Chinese fellow' (3) + 'removes hat'
39 of 61  -   Report This Post

mattrom

20th December 2020, 19:20
Slow typing :)
40 of 61  -   Report This Post