CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

candledave

30th November 2020, 15:21
If you draw the lines with a ruler from the centre of blank cell to the centre of the corner cells it will pass through each relevant cell of the phrase even though for some of the cells, it is literally just grazing the edge
21 of 38  -   Report This Post

candledave

30th November 2020, 15:24
My take is that you are trying to carry out the title of the puzzle in a 2D way using the concept of the 15 letter phrase identified from the clues.
22 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th November 2020, 15:26
There are just 4 lines - one to each corner - and only two of the lines are required for the endgame but they have to be drawn very precisely and every cell they pass through (even by the tiniest bit) is involved in the phrase.
23 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th November 2020, 15:28
...sorry, that is misleading - only 2 are needed for the phrase, all 4 are needed to suggest the effect.
24 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th November 2020, 15:38
candledave - it's the extreme open-endedness of the gimmick that I have some issues with. Often we have other ways of limiting the possibilities - a given number, an additional thematic context, or just a limit per clue, here I think the setter has given himself just a bit too much leeway (something he didn't do with his other puzzle this week, which was far more 'user friendly', let's say).
25 of 38  -   Report This Post

candledave

30th November 2020, 15:43
That’s fair, the idea of more than one possible adjustment taken to the extreme I guess could lead to adding whole new sentences!
26 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th November 2020, 15:49
... and if you do use a very open-ended gimmick the clues really should be as unambiguous as possible to compensate (but as I've already gone for 'devious' instead of unfair, it's only a little quibble from me - I think it's a clever puzzle).
27 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th November 2020, 15:52
I like the 'whole new sentences' idea, candledave! There are setters who might fancy that.
28 of 38  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

30th November 2020, 18:13
Many thanks for that drxx and candledave. I will no doubt need more than one attempt to get the lines to touch a 'pixel' of each cell.
29 of 38  -   Report This Post

rad

1st December 2020, 07:53
I have struggled to the finishing line. Thanks for all the hints.

Drxx describes the puzzle as devious. I’m not sure if this is a pejorative word to apply to a cryptic crossword! Unfortunately I think it is far worse than that.

To avoid extra letters in the four-word phrase, the line coming from the NW corner of the grid will have to pass precisely through the NW corner of the blank cell. So it will not meet the other line at the centre of the blank cell! The dot must therefore be placed nearer to the NW corner of the blank cell.

Is this devious? I would say unfair, or perhaps inappropriate for a puzzle like this.
30 of 38  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1463