CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

son1ofrover1

30th November 2020, 13:19
Grid completed - although the parsing of 2d escapes me - and the phrase found. Is it right that the symmetry of the lines covering fails between the 5th and 6th letters of its final word by being a diagonal ?
11 of 38  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

30th November 2020, 13:20
covering it
12 of 38  -   Report This Post

candledave

30th November 2020, 13:40
Re 2D - adjust both the 3rd and 4th words of the clue.

Not sure what you mean about symmetry as it is symmetrical top to bottom
13 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th November 2020, 14:35
candledave - I think son1ofrover1 means that the 'staircase' effect becomes a ramp for two letters of the last word (because the line at that point goes directly through the two cells exactly from corner to corner). Yes, that's how I've got it.
14 of 38  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

30th November 2020, 14:46
Thank you both.
15 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th November 2020, 14:54
For me, 2d exemplifies the unfairness of the gimmick here by offering a perfectly sound wrong answer, [c]REST - where only the 4th word in the clue is altered.
16 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th November 2020, 14:57
...but only until the full realisation of the theme kicks in, of course.
17 of 38  -   Report This Post

drxx

30th November 2020, 15:01
...well, a few similar possibilities held me up for a while, so 'unfair' is how it struck me at the time - maybe 'devious' would be more accurate!
18 of 38  -   Report This Post

candledave

30th November 2020, 15:12
I see what you mean drxx but isn’t that often the way when you’re changing clues in variety cryptics.

I see it as all part of the game, although I would also call it unfair if it led to two different possible letters in an unchecked cell or two different viable crossing entries and one version was deemed incorrect
19 of 38  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

30th November 2020, 15:15
Despite a full grid, knowing the phrase and having the dot in place I am still trying to resolve how the lines will look. I can see a straightforward step progression for the first three words (i.e. the first line) but there are two alternatives for the second letter of the fourth word and the 'ramp' could be for either the fourth and fifth or fifth and sixth letters of that word. Also, are the lines to the other two corners straight or do they need to step as well? Any advice/help/pointers would be more than welcome.
20 of 38  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1463