CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

themadwomanintheattic

18th October 2020, 12:48
"Port has its fans – I must be the latest to be included among those (5)"

The letters I have are H - I - A, and it looks as though the answer must be HAIFA (a port in Israel). I can see that it's made up of the first one or two letters of HAS ITS FANS, but please can someone explain how the rest of the clue works?
1 of 30  -   Report This Post

cretin66

18th October 2020, 13:07
Of the letters within HAS ITS FANS, taking I as the latest (in alphabetical terms) means you discard S, T, S, N and S leaving HAIFA?
2 of 30  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

18th October 2020, 13:24
18d Brilliant device Liberal European Democrat may be confused with?
5-8, 5.
Light-emitting diode?
I think I can parse the first letter (Liberal = L) but nothing beyond that.
3 of 30  -   Report This Post

malone

18th October 2020, 13:25
Is it just that LED is an abbreviation for both Liberal European Democrat and Light-Emitting Diode?
4 of 30  -   Report This Post

cretin66

18th October 2020, 13:25
Isn't it just the initials of Liberal European Democrat being LED meaning Light Emitting Diode?
5 of 30  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

18th October 2020, 13:28
Also:
2. What wave power generates shortly found in Bloemfontein? (13,5)
Looks like electromotive force but what's Bloemfontein got to do with it?
6 of 30  -   Report This Post

malone

18th October 2020, 13:30
SB, EMF, abbreviation, shortly, ElectroMotive Force - is in the middle of the word, BloEMFontein.
7 of 30  -   Report This Post

cretin66

18th October 2020, 13:31
EMF is short for electromotive force and is in Bloemfontein. This crossword seems to have a physics theme!
8 of 30  -   Report This Post

themadwomanintheattic

18th October 2020, 13:44
Thanks, Cretin66. We'd worked out EMF and LED (and groaned!), but HAIFA had us completely baffled. Your explanation makes sense, but if that is the reasoning behind the clue, it feels very contrived!
9 of 30  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

18th October 2020, 13:46
Thanks for the help.
Not as much fun as last week, too much obscure knowledge for a cryptic crossword. To complete this you needed to know of Fibonacci, oloroso, that Uri is a Swiss canton, a book called Tobacco Road, a dated slang term for jail in the USA, EMF is electromotive force, and probably more besides in answers I haven't got.
10 of 30  -   Report This Post