CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

10th October 2020, 15:35
Hi everybody

I started this an hour ago, read through all the clues and only got one answer and I can't even fully parse it - 21d. But thanks to this thread and my past life in the north I've managed to get a few more. I haven't spotted the theme yet. I'm really not on this brendan's wavelength.

Chris, what does gk mean? I know the difference between a monk and a ***** and I'm not even religious.

Jono, I like the joke, but my husband says it is in Doncaster. I thought the HQ was Snig Hill in Sheffield.

I shall be back soon asking for hints.
31 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2020, 15:38
hi roof
general knowledge
sorry abot lack of capitals - cat on lap
32 of 54  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

10th October 2020, 17:27
I enjoyed the humour of “active constituent” in 25d. Not a wordplay that I have come across before but maybe I haven’t done enough cryptic crosswords.

Hints for anything in the NW corner would be welcome please.

Incidentally, I love that people on this forum are careful about not giving spoilers. Much appreciated. I recently looked elsewhere and all the fun was taken out of the crossword by full answers spelled out in the opening paragraph - I mean, really???!!

33 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2020, 17:30
Hi femmenoire
Could you be more specific about the NW? One hint - d is a son of 24a.
34 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2020, 17:31
..that was 1d
35 of 54  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

10th October 2020, 17:33
Chrise - “cat on lap” is a valid excuse of course!! It is rare for a (particularly our) moggy to deign to suffer the indignity of lap-sitting in favour of a more independent locale, so expectations of the honoured human are lowered accordingly...
36 of 54  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

10th October 2020, 17:35
I am stuck on the entire NW quadrant! So 1, 9, 13a and 1, 2, 3, 8d
37 of 54  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

10th October 2020, 17:37
Perfect hint for 1d thanks Chrise.
Cleverly constructed clue
38 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2020, 17:39
Hi Femmenoire
We have 2 cats and a cumlin (a very useful Scots word). One of our cats looks at me as if I'm just about to kick her at any moment; the other would spend his entire life on my lap if given the chance.

2d is the easiest of those - take the first letter off a sa city.

39 of 54  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

10th October 2020, 17:43
Got it now, thanks Chrise (2d).
I have 9a and 11a too after getting the first letters from 1d.
40 of 54  -   Report This Post