CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

10th October 2020, 08:11
finished. rather gk heavy, i thought - what will overseas solvers make of "midweek team" for instance. 4d and 20d needed gk too.

not happy with 26a. not only can't i parse it, the definition is, strictly, wrong.
11 of 54  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th October 2020, 08:28
Hi Chris,

26a - I just assumed a "monk" was the same thing as the answer but I've just checked on Google and you're absolutely right:-

"??????? are different from monks in that they are called to live the evangelical counsels (vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience) in service to society, rather than through cloistered asceticism and devotion"

I think the parsing is - A + R(iver) going after/"succeeding" an abbreviation/"in short" of the day when they are only allowed to eat fish.
12 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2020, 08:32
Thanks Brendan. I thought the day would figure.
13 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2020, 08:49
A few years ago we were staying with friends in Koln to explore the Eifel region. It was too far to get to the west of the region and back in a day, so one of them arranged somewhere for us to stay over.
"It's very cheap but very clean" she said.
When we arrived, we found we were staying in a monastery! It was on the Santiago di Compostela pilgrimage route, so at each breakfast we were surrounded by eager pilgrims ready for the next stage.
I mention it becuase the extensive grounds were dominated by six very large fishponds - required for one of the day's food.

btw, did you know that the Eifel region is over a supervolcano, like Yellowstone? There's lots of evidence of activity - hot springs, etc. - and the whole lot may go off one day; yet another thing to worry about!
14 of 54  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th October 2020, 08:58
Rather you than me Chris, I mean....have you seen "The Name of the Rose"!?

That said though, there's something rather calming about minimalism - I hear even Kim Kardashian is a fan of the "minimal monastery" style šŸ¤Ŗ
15 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2020, 09:03
i think there were only 7 or 8 actual monks left - quite a number of lay brothers though.

i liked the film of the name of the rose, but gave up on the tv version as i couldn't remember wich monk was which!
16 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

10th October 2020, 10:06
Morning all,
Iā€™m glad youā€™ve covered 18,24 and 26 already as I was struggling to see those!
The theme appears to break down into three sub-categories, with two solutions providing two of the category headings and the third being the thing that all these have in common.
I counted 15 thematic references (possibly 17 if you were to include two which are implied).

17 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

10th October 2020, 10:33
Interesting fact about 22a, the Operational HQ of the South Yorkshire Police is based in Letsby Avenue - true!
18 of 54  -   Report This Post

richardk

10th October 2020, 11:13
Iā€™m probably missing something obvious but I canā€™t parse 23d.

Where cones are located on street in front of van (5)

Iā€™m sure I have the answer with the cones being of the botanical variety and a regular contraction of ā€œstreetā€ but I canā€™t see where ā€œin front of vanā€ comes into it.
19 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

10th October 2020, 11:18
Hi Richard,
I had to check that, but Chambers gives ā€˜vanā€™ as ā€œtowards the frontā€ ...
20 of 54  -   Report This Post