CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogerjw

17th September 2020, 15:57
24 across: Gas one twice bottles? (4) - Answer neon, but I cannot parse it in a satisfactory way.

27 across: Dated scoundrel with hand missing and a slippery customer (4) _ Answer heel, but again cannot parse it satisfactorily.

Any help gratefully received - I must be missing some very simple points here. Thanks.
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

malone

17th September 2020, 16:02
27 Heel, dated scoundrel.
H = Hand missing and (Take 'and' away!)
Eel. slippery customer
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

malone

17th September 2020, 16:04
One one, one twice, would have 'neon' inside (bottles). O NEON e.
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

grunger

17th September 2020, 21:35
Malone

Glad they said dated. I have never heard of heel in that sense.
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

malone

17th September 2020, 22:10
Grunger, thanks. I had heard of 'heel' in that sense - but probably put it in the same class as cad and bounder ... not used in the real world for a really long time!
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

18th September 2020, 07:20
Malone

First 'daily' now 'heel', both with meanings I feel you want expunged, but they are from 'real life' not so long ago! We had 'Mod' as a boy on a scooter the other day. Do you want that off its rocker too because today's youngsters may not understand the reference?

Actually when I saw the Thursday 'Times' crossword as the subject of a thread, I thought there might be a complaint about ANOREXIC (clue definition 'hungry-looking'). Perhaps a sensitive reference in these 'woke' times.
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

malone

18th September 2020, 08:06
Paul... I too wondered, just for a moment or so, about 'anorexic'. It seemed a little ... tactless, perhaps? The definition in Chambers includes 'marked emaciation', that seems a bit stronger than 'hungry-looking'.

I think there are lots of 'old' words, ie words we seldom use, still being used in crosswords. As well as your Mod, and my Heel and Char/Daily, there are plenty of others - I dislike Deb and any use or wordplay involving Rake or Roue (members of the Heel club). Any usage of tired, old-fashioned words sees the setter marked down in my mental assessment!
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

tim1471

18th September 2020, 22:56
5 down: the answer looks to be “In black and white” (definition “clearly”). Does anyone know how the rest of the clue fits in?
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

grunger

20th September 2020, 14:42
tim

police car in NY
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd October 2020, 14:57
I'm bumping up this thread as a new post discusses something already mentioned...
10 of 12  -   Report This Post