CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

femmenoire

10th September 2020, 16:16
Re: 24d
The 4 lettered answer is used in Britain as a general word for cereal crops. I was brought up on an English farm, and this is the general word used for fields of wheat, barley or oats. The even more general term “arable” is maybe better known, but refers to a broader type of land use for growing crops for people or animals to eat.

In the UK, the answer word on its own is not used to refer to sweet**** or maize (a fodder crop version) but in a culinary context is contained in the term ****flour. I imagine that when early British settlers saw **** in the Americas, they just used the general term that they knew, hence the American usage of the word today, and the international confusion.... I live in the US, and the church choir was singing a Harvest hymn by the British composer John Rutter that contained this word preceded by “waving fields of” (or similar - from memory), and that confounded the American singers!
11 of 12  -   Report This Post

lumen

10th September 2020, 17:09
Thanks femmenoire.
Our bible (Chambers) does confirm that the word is used in England for general cereal. Erroneously, or historically.
You will understand that as a person with coeliac disease who can eat eat **** but never wheat, as it is potentially life-threatening - I tend to strongly differentiate between the two.
12 of 12  -   Report This Post