CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

prospero

3rd August 2020, 02:48
about halfway through ... I am taking it that the substitutions are all made in groups of two - all mine are so far but would be grateful if anyone finds a need to substitute single letters. A number of the answers I want to fit (eg 4 and 8) are the definitions, not the altered word - and this cannot be right according to the instructions ...
1 of 51  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd August 2020, 03:11
Hi prospero, I found all the substitutions to be 2 consecutive letters in each case.
I don't understand your query. Wordplay gives words that require a substitution to arrive at synonyms of the definitions which are the entries.
2 of 51  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

3rd August 2020, 04:06
All subs are 2 letters for 2 letters. This is the third puzzle in the past year or two trading on this particular area of knowledge- fortunately I have a T shirt bearing the required information.
3 of 51  -   Report This Post

jadzia49

3rd August 2020, 04:43
Last one, I can’t parse. 14d) . I Presume the solution means it prevents. I can’t get a 2 letter substitution to give the answer I have.Any hints? Thanks
4 of 51  -   Report This Post

mattrom

3rd August 2020, 04:58
Jadzia, I think it's DE + 'in' in the sense of 'now', with the first two letters swapped
5 of 51  -   Report This Post

jadzia49

3rd August 2020, 05:12
Thank you so much Mattrom. That makes sense now.
6 of 51  -   Report This Post

prospero

3rd August 2020, 10:02
Aha! I had misread the clue (which, reading it again, seems easy to do) to mean that the wordplay result was the solution to be entered. Otherwise, you could just enter synonyms for the definition without working out what the wordplay led to. But I' see now i was wrong - easy when you know how ...
7 of 51  -   Report This Post

kirky

3rd August 2020, 13:23
15a Spin doctor has therapy to gain special honours (8) R?????T?

23a Money to hoard (5) A?A?T
8 of 51  -   Report This Post

kirky

3rd August 2020, 13:29
15a i now have R?S?E?T? so looking like respects ...ect being the therapy...but can't see the rest ?
9 of 51  -   Report This Post

kirky

3rd August 2020, 13:31
got it now ...spin > insp !
10 of 51  -   Report This Post