CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mattrom

3rd August 2020, 22:44
...and Prospero. I agree, I prefer the solving to be the other way around. I did enjoy this one, though.
21 of 51  -   Report This Post

puzzledpom

4th August 2020, 10:07
Thanks, but still stuck. I have *I*N*E to work with. All the words that I can think of that fit this pattern make no sense with the clue, changed or otherwise.
22 of 51  -   Report This Post

prospero

4th August 2020, 10:14
pp - 24 was my last one in too. The word you want is an abbreviation for a dress. The wordplay indicates a part of a hinge. Neither are words one uses in everyday speech - at least I don't!
23 of 51  -   Report This Post

puzzledpom

4th August 2020, 10:42
Thanks.

I rejected what I have now entered as didn't realise that it was an alternative spelling for a word I did know for a dress. Should have been more assiduous in my research.

All done now, thanks to a couple of nudges.
24 of 51  -   Report This Post

pendragon

4th August 2020, 13:42
It took me a while to realise that it was easiest to fit the normal solution into the grid and then work back. And a lot of it seems almost arbitrary. I am still trying to work back on and justify seven!

But I would love some help on my last clue, 17D. The word I have is a sports term (if I have 16A across correct and it starts with an I and ends with an S). But the word doesn't fit with either the first or last definition. Any hints, please?

Don't expect an immediate thanks as I am fed up and off to play pétanque.
25 of 51  -   Report This Post

pendragon

4th August 2020, 14:06
I have just found that the word I have is a synonym for the first word. I have never heard of it in that context.
26 of 51  -   Report This Post

prospero

4th August 2020, 14:13
hope you have a good knock at petanque, pendragon
27 of 51  -   Report This Post

pendragon

4th August 2020, 14:24
Thanks, Prospero, but I think I will be dwelling on those final three I can't quite parse ...

10A what is the old square?
27A who is the abbot?
5D I know what the word is but why ...?
28 of 51  -   Report This Post

pendragon

4th August 2020, 14:31
Got the abbot, or rather, Abbot
29 of 51  -   Report This Post

prospero

4th August 2020, 14:40
5 - word for like + actress in Carry-Ons +I'd - all upside down + "large".
Definitioon last word.
30 of 51  -   Report This Post