CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pentomino

7th August 2020, 14:50
Thank you drxx, I am making some progress now.
21 of 29  -   Report This Post

drxx

7th August 2020, 15:09
alwayspuzzled - Yes, for the row but no for column 9 - although I think you've got the right letter (there are 3 of them in the grid - look for the one in the correct position).
I'm not sure what you mean about the third name being a replacement (is its head on a level with the others?).
22 of 29  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

7th August 2020, 15:14
Thanks for that drxx. I was just about to log in to say I had looked again and found the correct position of the letter. I expressed myself badly before. I thought that the person on the left had replaced the character on the right as the main focus.
23 of 29  -   Report This Post

rad

10th August 2020, 13:13
Sorry, Drxx, I can’t see what you mean about the last letter to be highlighted. Could you please be a little bit more explicit?
24 of 29  -   Report This Post

drxx

10th August 2020, 13:36
The image is one of a series, rad - each has a letter signifying its order in the series. This image shows that letter in its correct position but there are another two instances of the letter in the grid, and they're in the wrong positions.
25 of 29  -   Report This Post

rad

10th August 2020, 14:41
Thanks, Drxx. You’ve more or less said the same thing again! I have got it now, I think. I had seen frequent mentions of T... C... with that letter, but on perusing numerous versions of the image, I could not find one with that letter on it. I also saw mentions on this forum saying that the letter appeared three times in the grid, whereas I have four of them, so I thought I must be barking up the wrong tree. Furthermore, only once did I see the three letters italicised. Now, after reading your post I thought I’d better look again, and the first image I saw had the letter clearly displayed! But it didn’t have the three letters italicised. It did have a number agreeing with a symbol in my grid, so perhaps they should have asked for that to be highlighted, but in many of the images there is a different number or none at all.

Altogether I think it is an unsatisfactory and unnecessary endgame to a puzzle with a clever and attractive theme. But thanks all the same!
26 of 29  -   Report This Post

drxx

10th August 2020, 19:15
rad - I'm afraid my familiarity with the onject meant I didn't have to scour the grid looking for the letter, so I only made a cursory count of the other appearances (if you'd mentioned that discrepancy in your question we could have cleared up the ambiguity in a flash!).
I'm surprised you're finding various versions with different lettering because it's designed as a test, and any irregularities would suggest problems with the signal. I've googled ???? ???? ? and the real thing popped up straightaway.
Finally, I have no issues with the endgame and I think Ifor has been his usual very thorough self... the tiniest quibble would involve the background colour of the altered section - but that's down to the limitations of the crossword format.
Still, your trouble finding the right image might have spoilt it a little for me too... if I'd had to do a search.
27 of 29  -   Report This Post

rad

10th August 2020, 20:15
I quote from the internet: “There have been many different ???? ???? ? variations.” In view of this, how could we possibly know which one was being used here?
28 of 29  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th August 2020, 00:27
Having quickly googled the key name in the puzzle I can see on the very first line of the wiki entry a reference to ???? ???? ? and right alongside it is a pull-down illustration of the thing itself (with all details in their correct positions).
I think this is the route ifor was expecting people to go... but who knows?
It could be an interesting blog on 15 squared when the solution comes out!
29 of 29  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1446