CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

williamseal

6th August 2020, 14:47
As a result of the generous assistance on this thread I have three names that add to 19 letters. Is an adjoining symbol part of the 20?

If so I will battle on in the hope that a further nudge will appear. As things stand I can’t see how to proceed,.

However many thanks
11 of 29  -   Report This Post

williamseal

6th August 2020, 15:14
Further progress made - what a fine puzzle,

Have understood the reset, but still can’t see which letters should be italicised.

Can anyone put me out of my misery? it’s very busy on my Norfolk sandbank with all these visitors expecting me to clap my flippers.

Any help welcome with thanks
12 of 29  -   Report This Post

drxx

6th August 2020, 15:21
williamseal - the corporation's 3 initials are not usually italicised - but if you look at the object you'll see that they are.
13 of 29  -   Report This Post

drxx

6th August 2020, 15:23
...no need to clap, you've got enough on your flippers.
14 of 29  -   Report This Post

williamseal

6th August 2020, 16:14
Thanks drxx
All done now and fresh herrings for tea. The irony is that Mrs Seal worked for the corporation for almost 40 years!
15 of 29  -   Report This Post

drxx

6th August 2020, 16:27
I spent 30 years there, williamseal - that image is imprinted on my memory!
16 of 29  -   Report This Post

pentomino

7th August 2020, 08:49
I am still stuck on this. Help with the third and fourth clues would be helpful.
17 of 29  -   Report This Post

drxx

7th August 2020, 11:36
For the third - three letters for 'without', followed by THE inside [the 'stuffing'] 2x A(bsent) def 'soft cloth'.
Fourth - hidden in the clue, def (inf) 'detectives'.
18 of 29  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

7th August 2020, 14:15
I am well behind with this for various reasons. At the moment I have a full grid and I hope I have identified the six cells which need to be emptied (round the already blank cell and one of the letters rather than the symbol of the same shape?). Despite reading through all the very helpful hints above I still cannot see the significance of the names in columns four and ten let alone what needs highlighting. Any heavy hints/pointers in the right direction would be welcome.
19 of 29  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

7th August 2020, 14:24
Now have the names - I hope. (One first and family name and the other what that person replaced?) and - again I hope - the significant letter. (In column 9?). Is what needs to be in italics in the next to bottom row?
20 of 29  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1446