CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buzzybee

6th July 2020, 12:51
Quite tough. Needs some scientific knowledge.
1 of 29  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

6th July 2020, 15:39
Hi BuzzyBee, Have you finished? I'm stuck on one: -U-U-A, which I think is clued by 'In the Land of the Rising Sun this sacred icon, cheers!'
2 of 29  -   Report This Post

ginge

6th July 2020, 16:19
Hi sircrispin, the 2nd "u" is wrong - 19d is the plural as given by wordplay.
3 of 29  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

6th July 2020, 16:26
thanks so much ginge - I wasn't sure about that U (I'd stupidly put a K in there at first as well, so my brain was beginning to fry). All done :)
4 of 29  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th July 2020, 22:55
am stuck on 1 and 2. I think 1 may be a measre of sound named after the telephone inventor, but I can't find a sensible solution for 2 - or see where the clue for 1 belongs ... don't understand the bit about the last themed clue - that seems to be 21, but that applies to another solution.
5 of 29  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

6th July 2020, 23:19
Hi Prospero
No 1A nothing to do with phone inventor. Check out which famous farceur was ennobled and eviscerate him.
For 2D, you may have worked out what letter needs to be inserted but not got it in the right place. Come right up to date and across the Atlantic.....
The clue for 1A is related to 21D.
6 of 29  -   Report This Post

drxx

6th July 2020, 23:21
The answer to the clue for 1a (7 letters) becomes the final thematic (down) entry.
The wordplay is - 'productive'/abundant (4 letters) + 'period' (4 letters, but minus the last one).
The answer to 3 is entered at 1a - someone famous for farces - full name but 'gutted',
For 2d - change the name, the 'old Dutch' is his very famous wife.
7 of 29  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th July 2020, 23:28
I think I have the answer to 1 - in which case I am ashamed because I have worked with the actor in question - but can't make it fit with the theme. With 2 I think I was trying to involve the wrong President - but still can't parse it. Or see how the clue for 1 fits ...
8 of 29  -   Report This Post

drxx

6th July 2020, 23:31
'one has' could be 'setter has' ...but 'not quite'.
9 of 29  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th July 2020, 23:43
Thanks, both - and yes I did employ him and he was a joy to work with - both before and in the House. Stupidly I hadn't realised I hadn't found the clue for 21. And I had 2 right, though still can't see the anecdotes bit ...
10 of 29  -   Report This Post