CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

alwayspuzzled

23rd June 2020, 06:41
The Enigmatic Variations crossword is a staple part of many people's Sunday (and beyond with some of them) and it would be more than a shame were it to be discontinued. Others who contribute to the regular threads are far more articulate than I could ever hope to be and I would ask you to add a message of support to this thread so that the Telegraph's attention can be drawn to it.
1 of 123  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd June 2020, 06:46
Definitely, I've only been doing it for the last couple of months but it would be a shame to see it go. Count me in:-)
2 of 123  -   Report This Post

loge

23rd June 2020, 09:27
You have my full support. Enigmatic Variations is an excellent series which showcases some of the best setters of our age, and to discontinue it would be a great disappointment to many. I recall that a decision to end the series some years ago was reversed in the face of public outcry; let us hope that the same happens again.

I have not been able to find any confirmation about this latest threat to Enigmatic Variations, though. Where can it be found?
3 of 123  -   Report This Post

jlc

23rd June 2020, 09:28
Another here who has a Telegraph subscription, purely for the EV. My subscription will also cease if they do decide to stop the EV. I use it for nothing else.

I also have a subscription to The Times, again only for the Listener. I have a three monthly battle with their subscription team to continue my subscription on a "deal" as I do not want or need anything else in their newspapers.

There was a big to-do a couple of years ago when the Independent, thence The I, was about to cull the IQ. JH led a strong campaign to retain it which garnered a lot of support from the barred crossword community. Successfully.

I hope that the EV followers can do similar. I'll be up for any form of campaign. Never missed one for years and post every one in to HQ. (Until v recently, of course)

The EV is one part of the weekly barred crossword trio which is a staple of my week. It would be very sadly missed in this household.
4 of 123  -   Report This Post

kt17

23rd June 2020, 10:52
It's another instance of many years of cheese-paring at this once fine newspaper.
5 of 123  -   Report This Post

drxx

23rd June 2020, 11:00
I will cancel my subscription to Telegraph crosswords if the EV puzzle is discontinued, and I'm sure there are a lot of fans of the puzzle who will stop buying the newspaper.
Unfortunately, solvers who are not involved online will be unaware of this campaign and can only react after the event, so the damage will be done by the time any financial loss to the newspaper becomes apparent. With this in mind, I hope you get a good response to your post, alwayspuzzled.
6 of 123  -   Report This Post

drxx

23rd June 2020, 11:03
oops - '...there are lots of fans...'!
7 of 123  -   Report This Post

rad

23rd June 2020, 11:16
Count me in! The Listener and the EV make up my weekly dose of crossword satisfaction.
8 of 123  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

23rd June 2020, 11:32
Count me in
9 of 123  -   Report This Post

orson

23rd June 2020, 11:47
I started subscribing to Telegraph puzzles some years ago when Christmas day fell on a Sunday and it was the only way to get the EV. I also subscribe to the rest of the newspaper so I will cancel both if EV goes.

Newspapers have been in decline for quite a few years now and they have had to cut back here and there but I wonder how much the EV costs to run. Pay the setter and the editor and fund a £25 prize. I'm sure it doesn't come to a huge amount. False economy!
10 of 123  -   Report This Post