CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

strangelybrown

22nd June 2020, 13:38
Thanks Malone, it's the definitions I don't get, how does resistive = to be kicking against the pricks, and I've heard of Desert Rats but not of rat as a synonym for desert (The Sahara is the largest rat in Africa?).
11 of 19  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd June 2020, 13:43
StrangelyBrown, the Rat/Desert (with its Dessert pronunciation) appears a lot in crosswords. Chambers has 'rat; to desert or change sides for unworthy motives'.

12 of 19  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

22nd June 2020, 14:17
Ok, thanks Malone, you live and learn.
13 of 19  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd June 2020, 14:23
Thanks, StrangelyBrown.

I don't really like the 'kicking against the pricks' clue, but I can see - just about - what it means, they're both indicating rebelliousness, resistance etc.
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

timdownieuk

23rd June 2020, 14:27

malone

23rd June 2020, 15:02
Thanks, Tim... I wasn't too doubtful - the meanings were close enough for me - but it's nice to get things totally cleared up.
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

tango

23rd June 2020, 17:24
25d confused me also and I am sad to see that it is another depressing example of setters using 'in the know' clues.

A rat is not a desert. A desert is not a rat.

A 'desert rat 'is either a rat living in the desert or a WW2 soldier. But if I used blue as a synonym for train just because there once was a Blue Train people would think I was nuts.
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

timdownieuk

23rd June 2020, 17:32
Tango, nothing "in the know" about it.

Rat = desert is in Chambers.

intransitive verb (ratt'ing; ratt'ed)
To hunt or catch rats
To desert or change sides for unworthy motives
To act as an informer
(of a worker) to work as a rat
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

chips

23rd June 2020, 17:41
Tango,I'm sorry, but I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with rat/desert. It's been a recognised usage for a long time, as shown by the references given here.
19 of 19  -   Report This Post