CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

30th May 2020, 20:18
Hi Williamseal,

2d a 4 letter word for "part-time worker" + usual 1 letter for "roundabout" - definition is "speed"

4d definition is "mock" and is 1 letter abbr. for "fellow" + 1 letter abbr. for "American" + 2 letter word for "wife" (I'd never heard of this)

5d definition is "decayed wood" - 4 letter word for "cellar, perhaps" reversed/brought up + 3 letter word for "set down" as in 'keep a record of".
71 of 165  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th May 2020, 20:21
9a Yes, it is one of the destinations - 3 letter word for "our" + tin lizzie" if you Google this you'll see the exact model.
72 of 165  -   Report This Post

unclued

30th May 2020, 20:26
Thanks for putting me right about the two locations. I’ll try again now.
73 of 165  -   Report This Post

williamseal

30th May 2020, 20:29
Thanks Brendan
Your generous advice is much appreciated. I'll try the second stage of thsi one in the middle of next week - there is an intriguing Guardian 28147 beckoning for Monday - an accomplished setter they tell me!
74 of 165  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th May 2020, 20:31
:-)
75 of 165  -   Report This Post

williamseal

30th May 2020, 20:41
Dear me - 9 across is just down the road from my North Norfolk village!
76 of 165  -   Report This Post

unclued

30th May 2020, 20:49
Finally got the first of the final locations. If memory serves me well. a much lamented lost railway used to run through there.
Thanks for all the help.
77 of 165  -   Report This Post

merenz

30th May 2020, 20:59
I agree with Quisling and thought this was an excellent puzzle... how Harribobs constructed it is mind-boggling! I think I must still have my logical brain in gear from last week’s numericals, so whilst entering the answers and then finding the missing locations did take a bit of time, it wasn’t too onerous. I too briefly followed the red herring to the psychiatric institution, but quickly backtracked. I found the Wiki page ‘List of United Kingdom locations’ extremely helpful.

Thanks Harribobs for a challenging and excellent puzzle.
78 of 165  -   Report This Post

buzzb

30th May 2020, 21:22
smellyharry, you are mistaken,,,there are only a few paths at the end.

Once you have entered all the across entries, you will be left with a grid having 30 empty cells and at a specific position, A little study will show you that from that position, there are exactly 4 paths (two of which are nonsense) from it to the circle in which you arrive at the circle for the 4th letter. Similarly for the circle there are just a few possibilities where to go next. With TEA or a list of towns you can then get the first one fairly easily. Then you will have 17 spaces left and the choices are similarly constrained.
79 of 165  -   Report This Post

dylan

30th May 2020, 21:58
Buzzb, I have the first of the extra destinations, where the circled cell was every helpful. I’m now floundering on the second. I read earlier that it’s 8,9 but still not getting very far. Any tips?
Thanks
80 of 165  -   Report This Post