CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

24th May 2020, 00:49
Well, after yesterday's brutal Prize, this was a much more gentle offering by Everyman.

In terms of difficulty, I'd say it sits somewhere in the middle of the scale.

There are a few that caused me some head scratching and I'm still not sure how 1d, 9a and 13a are parsed.

My COD is 14d - Home with little ones restless all night - not good (3-4) which has a lovely surface reading.

Thanks to Everyman for a fun puzzle:-)

1 of 41  -   Report This Post

dscutler

24th May 2020, 02:54
Well done Brendan---unlike you, I am struggling in many places, but I am happy to leave it until tomorrow for more than minimal help.
I am sure that in the second word of 3 down my letters are right, but I am damed if I can find a single word that fits.
I have ?s?s?--are these letters correct.? The two acrosses that give the esses seem to parse perfectly.
2 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th May 2020, 03:06
Hi Dscutler,

how are thing in Washington?

In the second word of 3 down, your first 'S' is wrong, it should be an 'O'.

3 of 41  -   Report This Post

rainman

24th May 2020, 03:36
I found it difficult to get going, but I think I've finished it correctly. I was stuck on 1d for a while, but the anti-aircraft fire is the first three letters with the final letter, with the hoisted commander taking up the rest. 9a is in the clue backwards. Not so sure about 13a, unless the last three letters is a metaphor for being married.
4 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th May 2020, 03:41
Many thanks Rainman, I completely missed the reverse hidden and the "military commander" and I'm sure you're right about 13a.
5 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th May 2020, 03:45
I've just checked Chambers thesaurus (which I always forget to do!) and "married" is listed under the last three letters of 13a.
6 of 41  -   Report This Post

dscutler

24th May 2020, 05:44
I realized my error after my post. I had 'excuse me', which I thought parsed. We are up to 427 deaths in DC, which places our mortality fifth in the United States, after N.York, N. Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts. There is a strong concentration in the poorer parts of the city and among African-Americans.
We are still 'shut down' and socially distancing. Getting my four mile walk in every day if it doesn't rain
7 of 41  -   Report This Post

mathi

24th May 2020, 05:44
I too got stuck with 1d for a different reason, after betting that anti aircraft fire must be ‘ack-ack’! Your comment here helped me to resolve it. Thanks. Other clues are all ok, though it took me a while to finish.
8 of 41  -   Report This Post

richardk

24th May 2020, 07:23
I thought this was the most difficult Everyman in months! That’s not a complaint, it’s good to have a workout.

I still can’t fully parse 10ac. I have the lingerie which may be singular or plural but I can’t work out where the last four or five letters come from “on hips (partially)”.

9 of 41  -   Report This Post

jono

24th May 2020, 07:39
I believe the second half of 10a is the medical name for certain bones
10 of 41  -   Report This Post