CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

penda

22nd May 2020, 19:41
hi do you remember that problem i posted abpout P,Q,and R.
I cant remember whagave it and cant find it on the Forum. Can yoplease help Thea(o)
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

tatters

22nd May 2020, 22:04
Hi Thea

It rings no bells at all with me - do you have any more clues you can offer?
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

wintonian

23rd May 2020, 09:07
Hi, Thea,

Like tatters, I also don’t remember the puzzle to which you refer.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

penda

23rd May 2020, 18:39
Hi there -- at the risk of being a pest the problem was to find the integers P,Q.and R such that P+Q, P+R, Q+R, P-Q, P-R and Q-R were all perfect squares . Tatters suggested an answer, wintonian gave a method with generating formula based on Pythagorean Triples. Hope you can point to where it may lie in the forum archive. Probably early April.

Kind Regards Thea(o)
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

wintonian

23rd May 2020, 19:39
Hi, I remember this now, but it was actually in mid-February. The thread is called "Algebra !!!!!", and if you put the word "Algebra" into the search box at the top of the page, it should take you to the thread.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

penda

24th May 2020, 22:18
Hello wintonian Thank you very much for locating that puzzle -- Its amazing how things get buried. I was introduced to Pythags Triples in 1954 and still enjoy generating them and analysing them. Once again Thanks and good to meet you. Hope you have a good week in these peculiar times Thea(o)
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

wintonian

25th May 2020, 12:04
Hi, glad to be of help. It took me a bit of time to find the puzzle as I'd used the term "Pythagorean triplets" in the original thread rather than "Pythagorean triples", which I understand is the more usual expression.

On some discussion forums (or should that be "fora"?), it's possible to get a list of all your posts, but this doesn't seem to be the case for the Crossword Help Forum. So I ended up using Google to search for the website's URL and my name.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

penda

25th May 2020, 20:10
Hi Wi ntonian That was a clever way to search ( I dont understand what an URL is!!!!
Some years back i investigated lame triples where one leg is a bit longer than the other . A good example is 20,21,29. As the numbers get bigger c/(a+b)/2 give an increasingly close approximation to Root2 ( of course c^2=a^2+ b^2). No need to reply Kind regards Thea(o)
8 of 8  -   Report This Post