CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

16th May 2020, 00:59
Be warned, this isn't easy, but some some of the definitions are nothing short of genius. Those, coupled with some of the wittiest wordplay I've ever seen, and we have a real gem of a puzzle.

"What happens before weekend begins" and "bedroom item which accompanies one" are just two among many. Then there's the wonderful 7d and 1a, either of which could be a COD, as could 15a.

However, I'm going to go with the deceptively simple 19d "One hears something in the bath, topless" - brilliant!

Thanks to Picaroon for a masterclass in the art of crossword setting:-)
1 of 34  -   Report This Post

geeker

16th May 2020, 01:13
Yes, thanks to Picaroon for continuing his run of good form! I enjoyed practically all the clues, will mention 3, 5a, 5d, 6, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 20, 27. Two new/obscure (to me) words which I managed to put together from syntax/parsing; details withheld to avoid spoilers.
2 of 34  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th May 2020, 01:26
Hi Geeker,

There certainly was a lot to enjoy. I've just been looking back over it and I've seen even more nice little touches that I missed on the first pass.

Like you say, there are a couple of "unusual" words, but the wordplay is clear so....

I'm looking forward to hear what the other Forum users think of it:-)
3 of 34  -   Report This Post

mathi

16th May 2020, 02:45
Yes, a very good puzzle. Very much liked 5d!
4 of 34  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th May 2020, 03:05
Hi Mathi,

5d was excellent and it couldn't have been easy "to arrange" - if you get my drift:-)
5 of 34  -   Report This Post

jono

16th May 2020, 08:05
Hi all,
Thoroughly enjoyed that. The Greek, the bird and the vehicle were all new to me! Particularly enjoyed the association of a couple of clues with their respective grid positions.
6 of 34  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th May 2020, 08:10
Hi Jono,

You're right, Picaroon certainly put us through our paces with this one.
7 of 34  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th May 2020, 08:23
Mmm - I must have been on Picaroon's wavelength, as I found this pretty easy; even the unfamiliar words were plainly clued. It was great fun, though. 2d made me laugh out loud!
(Prison I'm leaving for work in bars (7) )

One thing I can't parse, though - what's the "short story" in 20a?
Fail to observe Poe character in short story (10)
8 of 34  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th May 2020, 08:28
Hi Chris,

Unusually, in this instance "short" doesn't mean 'knock off the last letter', but actually forms part of the definition - the 5 letters around the "Poe character" mean "short story".
9 of 34  -   Report This Post

jono

16th May 2020, 08:32
I also had to look up that word for short story and spent a good while thinking about shortening a longer word! The Poe character was clear though
10 of 34  -   Report This Post