CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

21st March 2020, 22:24
sorry -' your...'!
61 of 90  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st March 2020, 22:29
Got it, the Watergate/American spelling went right over my head. It's so infuriating because the very first thought I had was "that looks like a bridge, wouldn't it be elegant if the 'S....S' were on it"!

Thank you so much Drxx.
62 of 90  -   Report This Post

drxx

21st March 2020, 22:32
At least you're there without having to rewrite the whole grid the other way around!
63 of 90  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st March 2020, 22:33
But.....

The letter S is in the same place in each word, and if they swapped they'd still be in the same place and would still spell the same S....S word - so what is it that establishes the orientation

Sorry to be so finicky but I can't put a puzzle to rest until I've crossed all the T's etc.
64 of 90  -   Report This Post

drxx

21st March 2020, 22:44
The exchange has a geographical direction (typically 'cold war') - we're at the point where the 'guard wall is ?????? the prosy exchange', I take the words ?????? + 'exchange' to signify where the characters are situated at this point in the plot.
65 of 90  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st March 2020, 22:51
Thanks Drxx but I just can't see it. My problem is that the clues only fit if the single 11 letter word is written upside down in the RHS - so I knew which way it went before I knew the missing word, the clues simply wouldn't fit if it was the other way round! Take the "stretching exercises" clue - I know it ends in S so it can only fit where it does if the penultimate letter in that 11 letter word is 'S'. So this was known before the final word in the grid. I know I've misunderstood it but, even after all your hints I still don't get it.
66 of 90  -   Report This Post

drxx

21st March 2020, 23:03
I haven't filled the grid the other way but I believe gabrielc did (he had a full grid when he posted early on).
Once the characters at either edge of the grid are exchanged they'll return to their countries of origin - at the moment they're both held by the other side (the cold war axis is W/E as we look at the grid).
67 of 90  -   Report This Post

drxx

21st March 2020, 23:09
...by the way, it's quite a feat to construct a grid that can be repopulated in this way, but I believe ifor is just the setter to do it (sadly, I just can't summon the energy to check it myself!).
68 of 90  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st March 2020, 23:09
When you say characters at either edge, do you mean the answers to the two 11 letter clues, or are you referring to the actors?

I think I'll have to give up on this, my head is literally hurting and I've had to take some Paracetamol!!

I fear I bit off more than I can chew:-(
69 of 90  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st March 2020, 23:18
I think I get it. Each grid is a 180^ representation of the other.

Thanks again Drxx, you have the patience of a saint:-)
70 of 90  -   Report This Post