CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dove

29th February 2020, 19:21
Sorry--above is meant to be a reply to Brendan's post 19, regarding the clue at 16 down.
41 of 49  -   Report This Post

roof

29th February 2020, 19:24
I've now managed to parse 24ac, so it is just 7d to finish. I now have ?N?U?A
42 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th February 2020, 19:27
Hi Roof,

24a Yes, the setter is a dog. It's the last letter of this current month + "what you add when adding "a" + 2 letter abbr. for "little extra" (when adding extra to a letter for example)

7d Definition is "Soul" and is a 4 letter anagram/disturbed around 2 letters referring to "what the UK has just left/abandoned" and your letters are correct.
43 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th February 2020, 19:31
Hi Dove, now you and Jack have mentioned it, I do recall that particular tradition but, like you say, I don't think it's a big deal although I'm sure that, as Brendan says, it once was - way back.
44 of 49  -   Report This Post

roof

29th February 2020, 20:01
Thanks Brendan

7d Not a word I knew with this meaning. It's always been the root of various illnesses for me.

Thanks for all your help. I'm pleased to say I've finished. Many were easy, but some took a while longer. At least I can relax now and watch Hidden later on.

I got 24ac thank you.
45 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th February 2020, 20:09
No problem Roof, 7d was a new word to me also, although, like you, the illness part of the word leapt out at me. Our posts crossed for 24a but that was the clue that gave me the most trouble, where I think Brendan deliberately put the clue just above 26a, where he refers to himself, so when I saw "setter" I fell right into his trap 'Brendan/setter trap! :-)

46 of 49  -   Report This Post

roof

29th February 2020, 22:57
Hi Brendan

I've been caught out by setter in the clue before now, so I always look for both possibilities.
47 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th February 2020, 23:01
He got me Roof, he got me good - I would say 'once bitten..... ' but I know I'll get suckered again:-)
48 of 49  -   Report This Post

freddycat

1st March 2020, 11:02
A neat crossword once you get going, but despite all the helpful hints I am still stuck on 12ac: I have ?E?P?R. Could it be to do with blowing ones top? Any further help appreciated.
49 of 49  -   Report This Post