CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

8th February 2020, 13:43
Thanks, Mathi. The answer to 10 A is given - which I hadn't expected. Anyone looking in for a hint on that, or on another clue, might not expect to see an answer, a solution.

PS I seldom do the Guardian puzzle, so am quite unconcerned myself - but I've seen indignant posts before!
31 of 52  -   Report This Post

malone

8th February 2020, 13:46
Simond9x, thanks for that. I was surprised to see such detailed stuff here, but if it suits the majority of the solvers/posters, it doesn't really matter.

PS. Yes, the chastisement I got before is etched on my soul!
32 of 52  -   Report This Post

mathi

8th February 2020, 13:53
The real spoilsport is website like the one below. They have answer banks for almost everything! Most answers appear within a day or two here, if not on the same day. Just type the clue in google and it will lead to this website first. It quite disgusting and takes the fun out in solving. Many solvers upload answers quickly to other sites also.

http://www.danword.com/
33 of 52  -   Report This Post

malone

8th February 2020, 14:03
Mathi - yes, I've seen that website before. My query was more in the nature of some idle musing, remembering previous discussion (some of it quite heated!) on the Forum.
34 of 52  -   Report This Post

gasmanjack

8th February 2020, 15:41
Help please with the parsing of 26 and 16.
35 of 52  -   Report This Post

mathi

8th February 2020, 15:56
For 16d, look up the names of top 10 popular dark Irish stout or beer and remove three letters in it.

In 26a, small hear is S. It is a beam or support.
36 of 52  -   Report This Post

mathi

8th February 2020, 15:58
26a, small here is s.
37 of 52  -   Report This Post

gasmanjack

8th February 2020, 16:48
Thank you, Mathi.
38 of 52  -   Report This Post

roof

8th February 2020, 18:12
HI everyone

I've been having a lot of trouble getting started with this crossword and after looking through the forum have found the fairly explicit answers to at least three clues. I'm pleased to have got them, but on the whole prefer hints and nudges. I'll now see how many more I can get without help.
39 of 52  -   Report This Post

roof

8th February 2020, 19:28
Nearly finished, just three in the top left hand corner to do - 1d, 2d and 11ac. I think I have an answer for 2d, but can't parse it.

1d Tree competitor polled (4) I have ?C??
2d Book fair, fair! (6) I have ?R???T
11ac Jamaican music, pattern of notes around ghetto originally (5) ????A

I'm assuming the Jamaican music might be Ska, but I've just got 1d so 11ac begins with an R, so maybe its a corruption of reggae.
40 of 52  -   Report This Post