CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

24th January 2020, 22:09
Don’t be put off. The clues are pretty straightforward. I am sure this theme has been used many times before.
11 of 59  -   Report This Post

dylan

24th January 2020, 22:26
Thanks , Woodlouse- I was thrown by the "detailed", which I guess is actually an extra word.

I'm no nearer the theme. My intuitive approach can't cope, as Aspria points out, when some of the answers seem to fit the number of spaces exactly- in that case, I've just put them in without any alteration- is this correct?

One more thing- I'm not getting anything coherent for the name - seems to start DM.....?
12 of 59  -   Report This Post

unclued

24th January 2020, 22:38
Yes Dylan your first two letters are correct!
13 of 59  -   Report This Post

rad

24th January 2020, 23:11
PKA, please don’t be put off! I’ve finished it before 11pm Friday, which doesn’t happen very often, and several other posters on this thread have obviously found it pretty straightforward, so there’s nothing to be afraid of.

Each cell contains either one or two letters. I was dubious at first about answers which could be entered as normal, but it all made sense eventually.
14 of 59  -   Report This Post

aspria

25th January 2020, 08:39
Penny now dropped with the unaltered entries - logical enough when you've twigged it - just took rather a long time!
15 of 59  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

25th January 2020, 09:03
I agree with Quisling. I can see no other reason for the title, other than to use numbers.
16 of 59  -   Report This Post

om1957

25th January 2020, 09:23
Still worried about 5ac. The entry isn't in Chambers (needs another i), but I suppose it's what's required.
17 of 59  -   Report This Post

quisling

25th January 2020, 09:30
Thanks tonynannini. For me the other salient point is that the preamble says “all answers must be entered thematically ...”. For clues such as 14a and 5d, where the answer is the same length as the available cells, I don’t see anything very thematic about a letter entry which is perfectly normal. I don’t submit, so it’s all academic to me.

Om1957, 5a is in the BRB as a variant if you look up the double E version
18 of 59  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

25th January 2020, 09:36
Filled the grid or so I thought but totally flummoxed by the letters from extra words. The don,t look like the “name of someone” to me. Please help!
19 of 59  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

25th January 2020, 09:40
Typical! No sooner do I post a query when the penny drops! Got it now!
20 of 59  -   Report This Post