CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

11th January 2020, 03:30
Some pretty devious cluing this week and there are still a couple I can't quite parse, namely 1a, where I got the answer from the definition and the crossers and 3d, where I can't see what part the word "charge" plays.

1 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th January 2020, 04:08
I've double checked on Chambers and it appears that the anwser I've got for 3d can indeed be a "charge" or a 'fare'.
2 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th January 2020, 04:17
....also, I've got an answer for 6d which I'm pretty sure is correct but I just can't work out either the parsing or what the definition is!
3 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th January 2020, 04:27
I've looked again at 3d and, although there are only a few words that fit the letter pattern I've got, there appears to be 2 of them that could be the answer - one is a 'charge' you might pay on a ship (which is what I've put) and the other is a 'charge' in regards mail.... Actually I might change my answer to the second option!
4 of 29  -   Report This Post

mathi

11th January 2020, 06:19
I still have a few more finish. I think 3a comes from thorough’fare’ or change. Not sure. I am yet to crack 1a fully.
5 of 29  -   Report This Post

mathi

11th January 2020, 06:21
I meant 3d.
6 of 29  -   Report This Post

mathi

11th January 2020, 06:37
Vacancy could be post in 3a. I think only this can fit. Other possibility for opening is pass, which I meant earlier.
7 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th January 2020, 06:48
I agree Mathi, I originally went for the 'pass + time' option but have now changed it for the 'vacancy/opening + time' option.
8 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th January 2020, 07:00
The thing is Mathi with regards 3d, is that I've checked Chambes and the Free Online dictionary and both have "charge" (as in a fare on a ship) as a meaning for the first answer I put, the 'pass' + time option, so I think a case could be made for both answers being accepted as correct.
9 of 29  -   Report This Post

mathi

11th January 2020, 07:01
I think I got all of them, if I can interpret relations as sex in 20d! Chambers thesaurus says it can be intimate relations! It was all a sweat!
10 of 29  -   Report This Post