CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

alanfi

10th January 2020, 19:31
a solecism which is becoming prevalent is the classic " I was sat"
1 of 17  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th January 2020, 21:23
You must have missed the superlative version:

I was sat sitting
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

tyke51

10th January 2020, 22:36
or ... I was stood standing!

Chap on the Beeb`s `More or Less` Radio 4 prog today referred glibly to `double u double u eff Australia`... I think most of us would think WWF stands for World Wildlife Fund but , Mr Google says `World Wide Fund for Nature` ... why not just say what the organisation`s name is!
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

jigjag

11th January 2020, 11:37
Tyke

To me, WWF stands for World Wrestling Federation. A lot of their events were on TV years ago.

ChriseE

I once heard "I was sat sitting seated at the table".
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

elle

11th January 2020, 11:47
Jigjag

"I was sat sitting seated on the seat".... has perhaps a better ring?

Have a nice day!
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

jigjag

11th January 2020, 20:10
elle

Yes it certainly does have a nice ring to it. I would love to hear somebody say that.
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

orson

12th January 2020, 16:02
Hylda Baker often said "sat sitting" for comedic effect, along with "stood standing" and "leant leaning".
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

tyke51

12th January 2020, 16:16
Orson

Dear old Hylda - at least she didn`t have to use the `F` word to get a laugh!

Jigjag

People must be shocked to discover their WWF donations are being used to support American Wrestling ... Blues heading for a Champions League place now?
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

jigjag

12th January 2020, 19:45
Tyke

You are right about the WWF confusion. A few weeks ago I read that the West Wirral Fund had complained that donations were down, and they were investigating.

The change of manager has produced what Silva was lacking - a bit of luck. 3 one-goal wins that easily have been draws. I think 5th or 6th is a realistic target. The next 5 are "winable" so who knows. I notice Doncaster are just off the play-off positions with a good win yesterday.

Orson Tyke

i just about remember Hylda Baker. Was it "she knows, you know" about her sidekick.

9 of 17  -   Report This Post

tyke51

12th January 2020, 20:03
Jigjag

Hylda ,when asked the time always said "It's quarter past ... I must get a little hand put on this watch."

Darren Moore`s trying to sign a couple of players (like most teams!) - we`re not far off from being a decent team - as you say a bit of luck helps - not impressed the way VAR is being used recently!
10 of 17  -   Report This Post