CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

13th January 2020, 11:44
Yes, jigjag, Miss Baker even had a song which included "she knows, you know" in the refrain.

On another topic, I was a little irritated to hear someone with an English accent on Radio 4 repeatedly pronounce "law" as "lah", as Americans do.

I hope that's not the beginning of another unwelcome import. I wonder if I'm right here. I think Americans used to pronounce law and saw much the same as we do up to about 30 years ago, if old songs and media are anything to go by.
11 of 17  -   Report This Post

tyke51

26th January 2020, 19:22
`Laxadaisical`makes me cringe! it`s a non-word which has become popular, particularly with sport pundits. It seems to be an amalgam of `lax` and `lackadaisical`- Cricket `expert` Charles Colville used it on Sky recently.
12 of 17  -   Report This Post

grunger

27th January 2020, 21:15
Tyke

Even worse - it is often pronounced "laxydaisical" here.

13 of 17  -   Report This Post

tyke51

27th January 2020, 22:16
Grunger

I suppose `Woke` is the opposite of `Laxydaisical` - don`t like either!
14 of 17  -   Report This Post

grunger

28th January 2020, 14:28
Tyke

I agree - I think woke is awful. I suppose "lacksadaisical" comes from lacks a bicycle, lacks a daisy, lacksadaisical, especially as there is a connection between bicycle and Daisy.
15 of 17  -   Report This Post

tyke51

28th January 2020, 19:03
The new 50p coin `celebrating` the UK leaving the EU is not universally popular ...

... Sir Philip Pullman has taken umbrage because the Oxford comma is missing from the coin's wording: "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations."

I thought the Oxford comma was an inferior motor car from the 1950s
16 of 17  -   Report This Post

orson

31st January 2020, 11:17
I like the word lackadaisical and apparently it entered the language in the 18th century, though it seems older than that to me. I always imagine someone who would rather be picking daisies than doing something purposeful.
17 of 17  -   Report This Post