CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

xij

24th November 2019, 16:50
I think I have the first seven numbers, but could someone confirm that D, L, R and T are numbers 7, 8, 9 and 10, although not necessarily in that order. Really struggling with this, maths not being my strong point.
21 of 62  -   Report This Post

buzzb

24th November 2019, 16:57
xij - You are correct.
22 of 62  -   Report This Post

carolspringett

24th November 2019, 18:04
Hello I’m new to the forum. As a maths teacher I am keen to try the number puzzles but often don’t understand the instructions. How can I learn the basics of these puzzles? I’m good at the primes, cubes, etc when they appear. What is it I need to see/know? Thanks.
23 of 62  -   Report This Post

merenz

24th November 2019, 20:24
Hi Carol. Welcome to the forum. There’s some info on the Listener Crossword site about tackling number puzzles

https://www.listenercrossword.com/PDF/mcross1.pdf

The instructions (known as the preamble) need to be read a number of times to give you time to process all of its component parts and nuances. The preamble often seems impenetrable initially but it will begin to unfold. Once you’ve begun to solve, the preamble becomes clearer with every further reread.

If you’re ever totally flummoxed by anything in the instructions, the friendly folk on this forum will always be happy to help.

Good luck.
24 of 62  -   Report This Post

buzzb

24th November 2019, 21:25
Carol:

I highly recommend https://www.crossnumbersquarterly.com/ which is dedicated to this type of puzzle.
25 of 62  -   Report This Post

oyler

25th November 2019, 10:30
Thanks for the plug for CQ buzzb
26 of 62  -   Report This Post

cockie

25th November 2019, 11:56
I'm still struggling with this - is the last 5-letter word (in demeter's #5 above) a digit? It looks as though it might be.
27 of 62  -   Report This Post

quisling

25th November 2019, 13:10
The final word of the instruction is a colour, cockie
28 of 62  -   Report This Post

cockie

25th November 2019, 14:31
Thanks, quisling. If you are willing to divulge more off line I would welcome an email to jock999@btinternet.com with the first few steps on the way. I have worked out some of the letters, and have groups for the others, but all I can see is a horrible knot, rather than a loose end. My real problem is not seeing where the extra digits go: there seem to be far too many possibilities.
29 of 62  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

25th November 2019, 15:39
I'm getting more and more frustrated with this mathematical Xword. I can only see one value for L to satisfy 2d. However that value for L does not satisfy 33a as it gives a 4 digit answer (i.e no room for an insertion). Where am I going wrong. Feeling very obtuse to say the least. Of course I'm assuming that I have 1a correct (I have 2d beginning with the digit 4). Would appreciate some help please.
30 of 62  -   Report This Post