CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kt17

22nd November 2019, 10:10
Well said Malone, but if as an alternative you'ld prefer to go to a medium sized library to complete an un-google-able puzzle I for one would explode like FieryJack!

This Speccie was tough enough for me, even with Brewer's to hand!

But enjoy chewing over these points!

11 of 27  -   Report This Post

peter284

22nd November 2019, 13:30
I liked the challenges posed by this puzzle: there were some really intriguing and clever bits for parsing.

I also like having Chambers and Brewers as ultimate verifying backstops. Each is a thoroughly lovely book in its own right, particularly Suzie Dent's brilliant edition of Brewers. The trouble is I keep on having to buy new editions as they come out; still, that gives something for people to get me for Xmas when I have no ideas.

Back to the puzzle. The P.O.R.G. at 5d. does not seem to fit with my answers for 16a (ending in P) and 24a (beginning with S). I am pretty sure of these two answers, but Ms Dent's Prince of Sleswig does not tally with either.
12 of 27  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd November 2019, 14:52
Peter, the 5D is closely linked to 11 D - they're listed together in Chambers. Your 16 A and 24 A letters are correct.

I really enjoyed the clues in this puzzle, the 'find the list in Brewer's' part was less appealing, less rewarding.
13 of 27  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd November 2019, 14:56
KT, I don't like the sound of your alternative - 'an un-google-able puzzle', but fortunately we don't have to live with one or the other. There are far more options than that, we see that on a regular basis in themed crosswords. A recent EV, on saints, involved Brewer's, but that was a layered, more cohesive puzzle - far more satisfying than 'pick the items that fit from this list'.
14 of 27  -   Report This Post

specsaver

22nd November 2019, 15:03
Well, I found that a "little" challenging... got there in the end but would have been completely foxed with access to Brewer's...which is not entirely satisfactory IMHO.
15 of 27  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd November 2019, 15:15
Peter, apologies, that should have been 'listed together in Brewer's.'
16 of 27  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

22nd November 2019, 17:53
An interesting little discussion but where did “a little puzzle” come from? My copy has 2435: Title. Nothing more.
17 of 27  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd November 2019, 18:00
Teenieleek, that's the title shown in the Spectator, in the magazine and online - '2435: A Little Puzzle'.
18 of 27  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

22nd November 2019, 19:22
Ah, thanks Malone, my, always gratefully received, copy comes from elsewhere.
19 of 27  -   Report This Post

itsme

23rd November 2019, 14:39
Help please with unclued .......

6a. c?e?ah
5d. co?op?s
17d. ?it

and 20a. OLd king put round fence. (4) o?er

Thanks.
20 of 27  -   Report This Post