CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

simond9x

21st September 2019, 11:33
Thoroughly enjoyable puzzle today which gave up bit by bit. Agonised for ages over 28a, trying to force an acronym into a doubtful word for ring, the result not being in the dictionary. Finally, the penny dropped. Thanks Brendan.
1 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st September 2019, 11:44
I wrote in my last four quickly without having much idea of why they were right (or, possibly, not!) Any hints of explanation would be appreciated! (I won't bother to write out the clues, for once).
1a
9a
4d
20d
2 of 19  -   Report This Post

simond9x

21st September 2019, 11:56
Hi ChrisE,

1a is what they call (I think!) an &lit
9a I've just realised I haven't parsed myself (oops!)
4d translate it back to its native name
20d I didn't parse this one but there's a detailed explanation on The Answer Bank (I won't post it here as it would be a spoiler)
3 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st September 2019, 12:01
Thanks simon - I'm not sure now if I've got 4d right.
Could 9 just be a reference to what his work looks like? Poor clue if there's nothing more to it.
4 of 19  -   Report This Post

simond9x

21st September 2019, 12:09
re 9, I was thinking the same. Wiki says he was 'obsessed with lists' so probably as you say.
5 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st September 2019, 17:17
I really enjoyed this but am having trouble parsing 28ac.

I've assumed that "Charge" gives the first 4 letters but then I can't get the final 3 from "For spectacle" - help appreciated.
6 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st September 2019, 17:23
If my answer is right, it's just a cryptic definition (and not a particularly good one).
7 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st September 2019, 17:26
Ahh, I didn't see that, I'd taken the definition to be "Fighters in ring" but, of course, you're right.

Many thanks Chris
8 of 19  -   Report This Post

ethereal

21st September 2019, 18:13
I'm not sure what you mean about 28a. I only see it as those particular cape-swirling hombres and don't get the last 3 letters either. My real problem is in the top left corner. 1ac, Speciality of doctor... since I also don't have 9d that's no help. 11ac could get me sorted. Very noticeable, it's said. I just have ????O???E?. The rest of the puzzle I agree was enjoyable and not difficult.
9 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st September 2019, 18:29
Hi Ethereal, you have to think what the bulls actually do, then you'll see the whole clue is the definition, as Chris explained.

11a is a double definition

9a is the name of someone who was a Doctor and a writer - famous for a specific book

1a is a literary term full of what is in the book by 9ac.
10 of 19  -   Report This Post