CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

16th September 2019, 17:42
OK here are a couple more random questions:

What is a thidebornking?

What is a throat kick?

These come from a review of the new Downton Abbey film on the Spectator website. It says five times that there aren't enough throat kicks in it. I wouldn't know what one was if it appeared in a film. Something to do with smoking? I don't know the answer to thidebornking either.
11 of 15  -   Report This Post

tatters

17th September 2019, 19:36
Either an intentional or accidental transposition of ".. bored thinkingabout it??

(Possibly the Turk died of boredom, not intercourse, thidebornking about it.)
12 of 15  -   Report This Post

siolag

18th September 2019, 06:20
I think a throat kick is a martial arts move, where a kick is aimed at the throat of the victim, leaving them paralysed presumably. I read that review and assumed it was just some fun.
13 of 15  -   Report This Post

rosalind

18th September 2019, 07:28
I expect "throat kicks" was metaphorical! I've heard that the Downton film is very anodyne and boring. That won't stop me seeing it, though! The last time I went to a cinema was to see "Master and Commander".
14 of 15  -   Report This Post

orson

18th September 2019, 09:55
Thank you for those suggestions. Thidebornking must be an error and I'm surprised it hasn't been corrected after all this time.

As for throat kicks, I cannot come up with any better explanations but I'm surprised it's not in any dictionary that I've used given that this reviewer uses the phrase so many times. Does she want to be understood? And if you want to be kicked in the throat I would have thought you should look to other films.

I've never bothered much with Downton Abbey but from the little I have seen I admire the authentic furnishings but get irritated by the occasional modern lingo.
15 of 15  -   Report This Post