CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kt17

1st August 2019, 00:08
Welcome to this weekly competition - to compose a cryptic crossword clue, the winner to be decided by fellow contestants.

All entrants are welcomed, particularly new ones. Entrants may make as many entries as they wish.

Feel free to explain your clue if you think it will help, or to ask another setter to parse a clue - but please refrain from commenting on any entries until voting has begun.

Entrants should vote for their favourite clue and give a clear second choice – helpful in the event of a tie[b/]. Please be sure to reference the post numbers of your choices.

Feel free to mention as many other admirable clues as you wish.

Clues should be posted by 11am UK time on Friday 2nd August at which time the voting opens. Voting closes at 9pm later that day.

The entry with the most votes - or in the event of a tie with the most second votes - wins and its composer sets next week's competition.

The setter has the deciding vote in the event of an intractable tie and may change the rules if necessary.

The setter will declare the winner and award an online prize.

The word to be clued this week is

DARLING (7)

Have fun and good luck!
1 of 85  -   Report This Post

kt17

1st August 2019, 00:11
Apologies for my ham-fisted attempt to embolden that I was asking for a second place vote to assist in the event of a tie.

M
2 of 85  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

1st August 2019, 00:20
Dear and precious (7)
3 of 85  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

1st August 2019, 00:25
Lingard fouled? Oh, dear (7)
4 of 85  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

1st August 2019, 00:52
What's your favourite, sweetheart - lamb, chicken or duck? (7)

(Quintuple definition)
5 of 85  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1st August 2019, 01:01
Yeah, well, ginge, I'm embarrassed. I'm a painter by training, have a huge art library, and am a museum rat. I of course know what fecerunt means from elementary Latin but ff just didn't register even though I could hardly have not seen it used in the context of provenance (where the unabbreviated word so often occurs).
6 of 85  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1st August 2019, 01:03
Sorry! That was meant to be posted on Clueless. Time to pack it in...
7 of 85  -   Report This Post

paul

1st August 2019, 01:30
Learner kidnapped by reckless boyfriend (7)
8 of 85  -   Report This Post

ginge

1st August 2019, 01:34
Murray's partner in the Australian open currently might be a girlfriend (7)
9 of 85  -   Report This Post

paul

1st August 2019, 01:38
The Italian Grand Slam result; love - love (7)
10 of 85  -   Report This Post