CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crucifer

6th July 2019, 10:53
Excellent crossword from Mr E, but a strange one. The quotation took some hunting down, but isn't isn't strictly necessary, as I had already twigged how the jumbles are resolved. Still puzzling over the title though...
1 of 20  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

6th July 2019, 11:04
Grid almost filled. Extra words and writer found. Stuck on 17a and 18a. And how jumbles are entered. Hints gratefully received.
2 of 20  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

6th July 2019, 11:06
Thanks crucifer. I have a full grid, the quotation and author and had figured out how to enter the jumbles, but can’t find the reference after much searching. Was fairly confident I had done but wasn’t 100% sure that the reference wouldn’t reveal a final step. Sounds like you don’t need it so I can happily give up trying to locate it.

Bit frustrating to base the puzzle on a reference that is very tricky to find and which you don’t need to find to complete the puzzle. Other than that I thought this was pretty good.
3 of 20  -   Report This Post

ginge

6th July 2019, 11:09
Jumble the puzzle title and apply the same as the "normal" answers to get the source title.
4 of 20  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

6th July 2019, 11:09
18a is a newborn whale, don’t understand the wordplay. If you can figure out the extra letter and put it in the unch it was that that then gave me the answer as to what the jumbles have in common.

17 is a common word that can mean a drug and is G + a word for relating to the intestines minus T
5 of 20  -   Report This Post

ginge

6th July 2019, 11:14
18a. homophone.
6 of 20  -   Report This Post

gitto

6th July 2019, 11:41
I am probably being a bit dense here but...
I have a full grid other than the 4 ambiguous cells
I have the author, quote and book + a few possible hints from the quote
I also understand how the title works, but...…..
I don't understand how the unch in 18a helps and I do not understand what to do with the normal answers, although 3 of them seem to resolve themselves.
7 of 20  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

6th July 2019, 12:13
Thanks ginge, makes sense now
8 of 20  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

6th July 2019, 12:15
Gitto

I think it’s one of those either you see it or you don’t type situations. If you have the full entries for 17 and 18 have a look and see if you can see what could be done to both to make a real word.
9 of 20  -   Report This Post

gitto

6th July 2019, 12:27
Thanks Smellyharry - I missed the bleeding obvious didn't I?
10 of 20  -   Report This Post