CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

skyewalker

31st May 2019, 22:38
Nice one, Mattrom! Cheers, Aristo. Beautiful clip.
61 of 73  -   Report This Post

mattrom

31st May 2019, 22:47
Thank you all so much for your votes and mentions! It has warmed my heart on this chilly first morning of winter.
Aristo, thank you also for drawing my attention to this medium. I loved my prize, and am stunned by the delicacy of the work. I'd love to see them in real life. I think I'll head off to our Art Gallery (of NSW) and track down some tempera works.
I found it an exacting challenge and difficult to come up with something that wasn't clunky.
Sunray, I liked your #24, wanted to substitute 'capture' as the indicator. I had tried to construct a clue using 'Tempe' and given up.
KT, I'm curious - what were you diving for at Deptford?

Cheers till next week
62 of 73  -   Report This Post

kt17

31st May 2019, 22:50
Aristo I hope I'll be forgiven for sidetracking this thread when it is Mattrom's party...

Those paintings - what technical brilliance, and emotional profundity!

I thought of Edward Hopper - I like Hopper very much but I also recall someone saying - acerbically - that he was the best known worst painter, or words to the effect.

These A. Wyeth paintings you've shown us seem to me to follow in a Hopperish line but with heightened additional quality that Hopper's detractors maintain he lacked.

Have a great weekend all!

63 of 73  -   Report This Post

kt17

31st May 2019, 23:02
Mattrom, in the spirit of this wonderful board I feel I ought to answer your question in as few words as possible without boring the pants off any unfortunate co-readers.

So suffice it to say my day, from Epsom to Deptford and back, accompanied by y and z, was a conflation of 'Heart of Darkness', 'The Lost Weekend' and 'Muppets - the Movie'.

'Nuff said.
64 of 73  -   Report This Post

rossim

31st May 2019, 23:30
A great clue Mattrom ( although I did prefer your @10 as only the yolk is used!)
A challenging word Aristo. Thanks for setting. I loved the art prize.
Thanks for your vote jws and the likes Chris and Mattrom, all very much appreciated.
65 of 73  -   Report This Post

mattrom

31st May 2019, 23:31
Ah, I get it. I had pictured you diving into the Thames. :)
66 of 73  -   Report This Post

sunray

1st June 2019, 00:30
mattrom, thanks for the kind word.
I considered absorb and then switched to surround.

67 of 73  -   Report This Post

paul

1st June 2019, 01:20
Very well done Mattrom! What a performance!
Thanks for setting Aristo - quite a challenge!

KT - weirdly enough I was discussing Deptford today with a mate who lives and Blackheath and I haven’t seen for many years! There used to be an amazing veggie restaurant there that we used to come over the river for...
68 of 73  -   Report This Post

peterm

1st June 2019, 11:04
Excellent as always, mattrom. Thanks to aristo for setting such an educational challenge, to sunray and dorrien for their much-appreciated votes, and to fiery for crafting me into his clue (which I'm still chuffed about).
69 of 73  -   Report This Post

paul

1st June 2019, 11:50
And thanks Spike did the vote and Mattrom for the mention. Much appreciated.
70 of 73  -   Report This Post