CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jaffra

13th April 2019, 21:17
I thought I as going to manage to complete this one without the aid of the forum for once, but I got stuck on 15,25, so thanks all for the tips.

While writing, I note that the errors in the Crucible one three weeks ago have been corrected, both online and in the Corrections column in the printed paper, but only after the closing date for entry. I wonder, therefore, how they chose the winners: did they accept the correct spelling - mesozoic - which did not parse, or the incorrect spelling - mezozoic - which did - or either?
11 of 29  -   Report This Post

sheep

13th April 2019, 21:39
Clumsy me! Meant to write another word for disease.
12 of 29  -   Report This Post

roof

13th April 2019, 23:00
Hi Sheep

Thanks for your hint on 6d. I'd got 14ac wrong. So once I solved them I was able to fill in more. Unfortunately, I still couldn't get 15,25 across as I can't think of a 2 letter word for control. I've also still to get the footwear for 23ac - there are a number of possibilities, but none of them parse for me. I'll have another go. But any more hints for that SW corner would be gratefully received. What about13d?
13 of 29  -   Report This Post

roof

13th April 2019, 23:15
Thanks Sheep

Your hint for 6d gave me the answer and showed me I'd got 14ac wrong. I've now corrected that.
Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get the footwear yet for 23ac. I've several suggestions, but none of them parse.
I still haven't got the low powered vehicle, but I'll keep thinking about it. So my SW corner remains empty.

14 of 29  -   Report This Post

roof

13th April 2019, 23:17
Sorry
Did two entries by mistake. I thought I'd lost the first.
15 of 29  -   Report This Post

mamya

13th April 2019, 23:26
13 Last two words are definition.

Anagram of two words + a 'cut' synonym for another word in clue.
16 of 29  -   Report This Post

roof

14th April 2019, 00:09
Thanks Mamya

I thought that was the definition, but I can't think of the answer, so am packing up now for the night. I'll try again tomorrow.
17 of 29  -   Report This Post

jaffra

14th April 2019, 00:19
ROOF

Hope you have had a good night's sleep by the time you return.

It's not a two-letter word for control. See Scorpio's hint at entry number 2. Read it carefully; it is slightly ambiguous.
18 of 29  -   Report This Post

roof

14th April 2019, 11:02
Thanks Jaffra

I did sleep well but it hasn't unblocked me yet. Sorry, I did realise I needed a four letter word for control and the second letter of that word has to be an e, but that's the only crosser I have. I may have to give up on this one unless inspiration strikes with 13d and 16d.
For 19d I have ???O?S?, though I'm not sure of the o.
19 of 29  -   Report This Post

scorpiojo

14th April 2019, 11:13
Your O should be an E
20 of 29  -   Report This Post