CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

6th April 2019, 16:23
Most of this is pretty straightforward, but, although 2 is obvious it isn't verified in Chambers (or if it is, it's not where you'd expect to find it). I lack 22 and any understanding of A and its variations. D, as well as being a well-known phrase is also a recent musical work, but none of its creators has 6 letters. There is a name linking the 4 theme words: is this the one to be written below? If so it's hard to see what the title has to do with it. I lack one of the 6 initial letters from the redundant words, and even having 5 of them shows no clear way forward.
1 of 26  -   Report This Post

malone

6th April 2019, 16:29
Cockle, I'd already posted on the other thread before your correction. 22 is defined by the first three words in the clue, 'American up' is a usual crossword device.
2 of 26  -   Report This Post

cockie

6th April 2019, 16:34
Thanks, Malone, and here's me with a maths degree (a very long time ago though).
3 of 26  -   Report This Post

muraria

6th April 2019, 17:21
Hi Cockie,

the name linking the 4 theme words can be derived from the cryptic wordplay of the title. This puzzle reminds me of the 'I Give You' puzzle of a few weeks ago, with 'links within links'.....
4 of 26  -   Report This Post

malone

6th April 2019, 17:21
Cockle, I meant to say - I'm in a worse position than you with the redundant words, and have made no sense of that part anyway. Although the 'name' is parsed by the title, the instruction about the highlighting is ambiguous. I'm at the 'mulling' stage!
5 of 26  -   Report This Post

muraria

6th April 2019, 17:30
Hi Malone, I don't see any instruction to highlight anything ? Which seems odd to me and detracts form the puzzle but hey ho...
6 of 26  -   Report This Post

malone

6th April 2019, 17:35
Sorry, Muraria - I meant 'what is to be written underneath', not highlighting. The Grand National distracted me! I've moved on slightly with my mulling.
7 of 26  -   Report This Post

muraria

6th April 2019, 17:39
Ah, OK Malone, no worries! I am watching the FA Cup but managed to get puzzle done beforehand so as not to have any distractions!
8 of 26  -   Report This Post

nelson

6th April 2019, 18:23
Pitch = a salesman's chat routine (5)
Black = b
Desert area = sand dunes (3)

9 of 26  -   Report This Post

malone

6th April 2019, 18:32
Muraria, hope you enjoyed the FA Cup. I had Inquisitor finished - after a fashion this morning - but felt I maybe needed to do all the redundant word stuff!
10 of 26  -   Report This Post