CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

9th March 2019, 09:07
As so often, I'm puzzled by an apparent anomaly: some of the Down clues have too many 3 letter blocks allocated eg 6down is referred to in six clues, which would give 18 letters- does this mean that some of the blocks are the same, and only used once?

I'm finding it hard going, done about 5 clues!
1 of 26  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

9th March 2019, 09:26
Hi Dylan

Yes your guess is correct.

I really enjoyed this one.

Shout if you need help.

2 of 26  -   Report This Post

rad

9th March 2019, 09:49
Very clever of Ifor to fit all the letters of the two messages into the clues in such a novel way. Presumably the second message applies only to 8d and not to the whole grid!

I have a problem even with that one word. If all the letters are intended to be covered by the message, one of the across entries is changed into a word different from the one clued. It would have been so easy, and so much more elegant, for that word to be clued.
3 of 26  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

9th March 2019, 09:52
I have the same as that Rad.

Good puzzle though I thought.

4 of 26  -   Report This Post

rad

9th March 2019, 09:57
As soon as I had posted, I realised that we are (probably) meant to apply the treatment to the whole of 8d. There will then be more than one across entry affected by the changes.
5 of 26  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

9th March 2019, 10:01
Yes the whole of 8d.

Don’t forget the 2nd part of the 2nd instruction as to the exact type of replacement.
6 of 26  -   Report This Post

rad

9th March 2019, 10:40
Make that THREE across entries which may be affected by the changes, although the usual convention in crossword puzzles is to omit accents etc.
7 of 26  -   Report This Post

gitto

9th March 2019, 11:21
I make 2 across answers that change!!
8 of 26  -   Report This Post

rad

9th March 2019, 12:08
Perhaps this is where we should cross the border into the other thread!
9 of 26  -   Report This Post

rad

9th March 2019, 12:28
I have been able to tie up some loose ends and complete the puzzle after realising what was meant by “thematically” in the preamble. I see now how incredibly clever it was on the part of Ifor to construct the down entries and clues. It is perhaps a weakness to have some of the three-letter words repeated, but I am lost in admiration for the way the three-letter words are combined to make the more interesting six-letter words.

Thanks, Ifor.
10 of 26  -   Report This Post