CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

18th February 2019, 12:42
If we had only one thread for a popular crossword, the Jumbo in the Saturday Times, say, it would go on for pages and pages. Someone looking for a particular answer would have a lot to scroll through.

Yesterday's Everyman threads seemed to be split between queries and gripes, with a few individual threads on the latter. Speaking personally, if I am having a moan, I like doing it in the company of like-minded people!
11 of 24  -   Report This Post

rossim

18th February 2019, 12:53
The Guardian thread has got much shorter lately.
Either it's getting easier, we're getting better at it, or it's got so difficult hardly anyone bothers!
12 of 24  -   Report This Post

mamya

18th February 2019, 13:48
I don't mind multiple threads but do find very long threads harder to negotiate - it's personal to each of us really.

I dislike the thought of anyone being chastised if they start a new thread however, so hope we don't go that route.
13 of 24  -   Report This Post

spoffy

18th February 2019, 14:51
It seems to me that in the great majority of instances posters are looking for help on a particular clue in a particular puzzle. Since there is no way to create a thread within a thread, this suggests that the appropriate level of thread granularity is 'clue within specific instance of specific puzzle', eg 'Everyman 3771 11ac'. This means that solvers looking for an answer to 11ac in Everyman 3771 know where to look, and those who don't want to know the answer to 11ac can avoid the thread. In contrast, where a puzzle has just one overarching thread anyone seeking a specific answer is likely to be exposed to every other answer on the thread, and multiple Qs and their associated As are likely to become confusingly interwoven

Such increased granularity is effectively an extension of the recent move with Listener puzzles to split the conversations on a particular puzzle into two, and would simply mean that for themed puzzles there was a further thread for those seeking assistance regarding the thematic aspects. It also strikes me that crosswords which warrant specific discussion of their merits and demerits are relatively rare, and therefore 'deserve' their own thread for that particular purpose, eg 'Everyman 3772 - What Were They Thinking?'.

I would envisage that the threads relating to a specific clue - even allowing for a message of thanks from the OP - would almost invariably fit on one screen page, leaving the subjective and thematic threads to extend as far as their contributors wished them to.
14 of 24  -   Report This Post

rossim

18th February 2019, 14:52
It is frustrating sometimes when someone opens a new thread just to say thanks. As newbies they probably don't realise that they can add on.
Gentle hints only Mamya!
15 of 24  -   Report This Post

cerasus

18th February 2019, 14:55
I've lost the plot :(
16 of 24  -   Report This Post

cerasus

18th February 2019, 15:03
Spoffy, are you or were you a politician ?! -;)
17 of 24  -   Report This Post

spoffy

18th February 2019, 15:10
From Chambers:

spoffy (archaic) adj fussy, officious

I was thrown out of Pedants United for being too picky...
18 of 24  -   Report This Post

malone

18th February 2019, 15:10
Spoffy, what is 'thread granularity'?
19 of 24  -   Report This Post

cerasus

18th February 2019, 15:16
Memories of Sir Humphrey Appleby , Spoffy ;)

", in practical terms we have the usual six options. One: do nothing. Two: issue a statement deploring the present situation; Three: lodge an official protest. Four: cut off people's comments; Five: break off diplomatic relations. And six: declare war. Which should be it?
20 of 24  -   Report This Post