CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

17th February 2019, 02:51
It's early so I don't want to give answers, but can anyone tell me if the numbers in these clues have real meaning or are just arbitrary.

23a Around four to twelve rounds, usually (5)

19d Fifty minutes lying on a couch - or sitting (7)

Like I said, I have the answers but could 23a be three to twelve and could 19d just as easily be fifty five minutes, or do they have to be the numbers in the clue?

Also....

27a Detailed plan, provider of focus (5)

Again, I have an answer but it's an abbreviation of another word meaning 'Plans' not 'Plan' - or can it mean both?
1 of 24  -   Report This Post

pedagogue

17th February 2019, 07:20
Hi!

23a The numbers are significant, in a professional sense.

27a I wondered about the abbreviated word being used as a singular noun, but checking the Quick Solve on this site gives a definition in the singular

19d I'm as puzzled as you!
2 of 24  -   Report This Post

pedagogue

17th February 2019, 07:24
Me again!
Following a trawl on t'interweb I believe that, in 19d, the 50 is significant - it can't be any other number.
3 of 24  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th February 2019, 07:42
Hi Pedagogue, thanks for that but I'm still a bit confused - again!

Re 23a, I get that a professional 'Bout' might 'Usually' last for between 4 - 12 rounds, but it could just as likely be said to last between 3 and 10 rounds - couldn't it? Or is there something else going on?

Re 19d, I've checked on the internet and some sites say a session is 30 minutes, others that it's between 50 and 55 minutes - or again, is it something else?

Re 27a, thanks for the clarification.
4 of 24  -   Report This Post

malone

17th February 2019, 07:53
Brendan, I used to watch American dramas on tv. I can't remember which of them featured a [someone who'd have you on the couch] but it came up a few times that 50 minutes was the normal length of time.

Fifteensquared has a blog of the recent Everyman - the one featuring some dodgy clues. I was pleased to see that rail/banter is not only in Chambers, but is also in the SOED, another crossword reference.
5 of 24  -   Report This Post

clarkgwent

17th February 2019, 07:59
There is a book about psychiatry called "The Fifty Minute Hour" which by coincidence I have been reading about recently. A tad obscure though.

That is my problem with the latest setter of Everyman. I used to try doing it without looking stuff up but this has changed.

EG I know why the Paolozzi / Riley clue works, but not everyone will.
6 of 24  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th February 2019, 08:06
Thanks Malone, thanks Clarkgwent.

I'm usually loath to criticise a clue but really, who would know, without checking on the internet, that a 'session' is only ever fifty minutes?

I know what you mean about the Paolozzi/Riley clue - I always thought I was quite well versed in art but, I have to admit, I'd never heard of Ms Riley.

Still baffled by the specific number of 'usual' rounds in a bout!
7 of 24  -   Report This Post

malone

17th February 2019, 08:14
Brendan, I definitely think the '50 minute' clue is unfair...unless the setter has a dictionary (or two) that defines the word as such!
8 of 24  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th February 2019, 08:19
Thanks Malone. I wonder if this is going to be the normal Everyman from now on.

PS I just looked at that review of last weeks puzzle on Fifteensquared - the reviewer really lets fire with both barrels! Let's hope it brings about some change.
9 of 24  -   Report This Post

cerasus

17th February 2019, 09:13
re: quick solve on this site.
Although it accepts plurals, if you enter "stops" for example, the definitions are all for the singular. Try it with other nouns to see if you agree. I cannot see that 27a is correct. Chambers shows only the singular (abbrev) as a plan.

10 of 24  -   Report This Post