CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kirky

17th February 2019, 17:58
Ignore the 2nd bit of mine!
21 of 36  -   Report This Post

wintonian

17th February 2019, 17:58
Dear mandyrob0704,

I think that everyone has had to concentrate hard on which number must be entered where. The answer to clue A is the six letter number, and this is entered at A. Work out the alphabetical sum of the distinct letters (ASDL) of this wood, and you get the answer to clue n. This number has 10 letters, and its ASDL is the number to enter as the answer to clue G.

The number to be entered for clue b has nine letters when spelled out. The ASDL of this number is equal to A+G. I worked out B and little b (the wretched autocorrect thinks I’m trying to type B and B) by noting that the ASDL for the answer to clue K is equal to both B-b and d+G. As d is the ASDL of G, I could work out B-b, and this constrains the possibilities for both B and little b to three each. Calculating all six ASDLs and a little logic led to unique solutions. This was the trickiest bit of my solution, and the rest was plain sailing.
22 of 36  -   Report This Post

mandyrob0704

17th February 2019, 18:16
Thanks Kirky you have all the same numbers as me which is comforting but I thought A+G went at b ie the down clue. Confused!!
23 of 36  -   Report This Post

mandyrob0704

17th February 2019, 18:18
Thanks wintonian will have another look. Keep getting stuck
24 of 36  -   Report This Post

simond9x

17th February 2019, 19:40
mandyrob0704 - not surprised! I found it hard to keep the instructions clear in my mind and had to remind myself of them at pretty much every clue. But, if you take it slowly (and carefully), it should all come out in the end.
25 of 36  -   Report This Post

davethehat

18th February 2019, 17:42
Hi, an overzealous family member 'tidied' my copy into the bin before I could complete. Can someone please post a pic or scan? Many thanks.
26 of 36  -   Report This Post

xij

18th February 2019, 18:42
It seems to me that one needs two things to do this puzzle. A “him indoors”, and a good knowledge of computers. Unfortunately for me, my “him indoors” buggered off over 20 years ago, and I am rubbish on a computer. So, I had to use the old fashioned tools like pencil and paper, calculator and copious amounts of swearing. However, it’s done, and I have to say what a brilliant puzzle it was. Many thanks Kea. Hi
27 of 36  -   Report This Post

simond9x

18th February 2019, 18:51
davethehat - here's a wetransfer link to the blank grid

https://we.tl/t-dw9mczBCAf
28 of 36  -   Report This Post

merenz

18th February 2019, 19:30
xij... that made me chuckle. Part of me regrets the recruitment of “him indoors”, the subsequent speedy completion of the grid and therefore bugger all else to do over the weekend. That said, I did finally manage to tick off a couple of long overdue tasks. More than happy to email you spreadsheets when the need arises for future Listeners.
29 of 36  -   Report This Post

davethehat

18th February 2019, 19:52
simond9x, you're my new best friend. Thankyou very much.
30 of 36  -   Report This Post