CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cloverjo

15th January 2019, 20:48
I'm not asking for help 'just' yet. Just wondered if anyone's completed this, and if any are struggling.
Looks tough to me. Is it worth plugging away?
1 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

15th January 2019, 20:57
I finished it, cloverjo - though I can't guarantee I've got it right! I'm not sure how some of the thematic stuff works, but I got a solution where everything fitted.
2 of 21  -   Report This Post

jigjag

15th January 2019, 20:57
Cleverjo

I struggled so abandoned it. The preamble was ambiguous. Did it mean letters were to be transferred in or already had been, when they were "affected"

Poor preambles have been a big problem lately. At least there was a published apology for the error of omission the previous week.

Best of luck if you carry on!
3 of 21  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

15th January 2019, 22:22
Thank you, guys. I'll probably keep looking at it occasionally. I don't think I'm going to get very far though.
4 of 21  -   Report This Post

drxx

15th January 2019, 22:47
cloverjo - There are four groups of letters (3x two and 1x three consecutive letters) that are the superfluous in four across clues. They move over to four down clues. In this way all eight clues make sense (either definition or wordplay might be affected). If you read these letters in normal clue order (either across or down) you get the 'NEW MEMBER'.

The six 'illustrious members' similarly move between answers (six are added and six removed) to give 12 new entries in the grid, the 'members' are all 2 letters long.

I hope this helps, I found it quite difficult to follow the preamble (but perhaps my explanation isn't much better!).
5 of 21  -   Report This Post

cockie

15th January 2019, 22:59
I sussed what was going on by solving the first of the alphabetical clues. It contains a fairly obvious extra pair of letters, and luckily I had an idea what word - a new member of a group - might start like that. I then looked for the rest of the word. The PDM thus occurred very early, but finishing the puzzle still took ages. Poat is famous for red herrings, and 18A (I don't keep a copy, so I can't be certain that's the right clue) is devious as it has two perfectly "correct" solutions. Except the one I put in doesn't work. And it's not even 1 April, or hare country.
6 of 21  -   Report This Post

drxx

15th January 2019, 23:05
cloverjo - I hope I'm not guilty of offering unsolicited help here (I realise you were not asking for any) I'm just trying to clarify what I found to be a rather unhelpful preamble.
7 of 21  -   Report This Post

kirky

16th January 2019, 18:49
Which answer goes in at 26d please? I've 5 left to solve/fit in and can't see which it might be
8 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

16th January 2019, 18:53
Kirky, it's the Marsupial that....
9 of 21  -   Report This Post

kirky

16th January 2019, 18:58
Thanks ... completely missed that one.
Now can't find one to fit in at 18d?
10 of 21  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1365