CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

stevea6000

16th January 2019, 15:49
Sandy formation (11)

When Fotheringhay reformed a few years ago, and did a very short tour, luckily they came to my local venue. Plus the two female vocalists included the wonderful Sally Barker.
21 of 31  -   Report This Post

nemo

16th January 2019, 16:50
Mary tried here where Nigel's weed started on grass (12)

Nigel (Molesworth)'s weed was Fotherington-Thomas
22 of 31  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th January 2019, 19:06
For several hours I thought that I might have an easy choice, as there was only icvotria's entry (first for a while?) Then your collective imagination and ingenuity got going and produced a very inventive set of clues. I could have short-listed all of them; I won't but I will mention:
penda @4, paul @5, FJ @8, mattrom @9, nemo @19 and tyke51 @20

However my choice, for the image it conjures and the immaculate construction, is FJ @6, with

Captured her in Tay fog, transported, then imprisoned here (11)

A couple of you referenced Sandy Denny’s post-Fairport Convention band “Fotheringay” (sic. hence the choice of spelling), but I’ve gone back to the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbnLVvAJrec
23 of 31  -   Report This Post

tyke51

16th January 2019, 20:00
Well done FJ - goodclue and good challenge Chrise!
Loved the clip - can you and Stevea recommend any Sandy Denny cds or dvds as I have a gap in my collection? I prefer the accoustic stuff!
24 of 31  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th January 2019, 20:07
Hi tyke
Fairport from "What we did on our holidays" up to "Liege and Lief"; the eponymous Fotheringay (though Fotheringay2 was disappointing) and "The north star grassmen and the ravens"....
I do also have a little known Fairport album where she rejoined (for a atour of Australia) called "Rising for the moon". Not as good as the earlier Fairport, though.
25 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

16th January 2019, 20:46
Congratulations, fiery. Thanks, chrise.
26 of 31  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

16th January 2019, 22:07
Congrats fj. Thanks chrise.

Tyke - I have the 18-track CD "History of Fairport Convention", which came out in 1972 (so recent!). Track 2 is Fotheringay. Covered in autographs, albeit lacking hers.
27 of 31  -   Report This Post

penda

16th January 2019, 22:20
Well done FJ Thanks for the mench Chrise. I grew up not far from Fotheringay and was always disappointed that the best bit is not the castle ( long gone) but the magnificent church.

Cheers Thea(o)
28 of 31  -   Report This Post

paul

16th January 2019, 23:33
Excellent clue Fiery!
Cheers Chris, and thanks fir the mention!
29 of 31  -   Report This Post

mattrom

17th January 2019, 01:53
Well done, FJ, and thanks to Chrise for the word and the mention. I liked the music.
30 of 31  -   Report This Post