CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paul

11th January 2019, 22:59
For anyone relatively new to the forum who didn’t get the reference in my poem, “Penda” was also known as “The Ambler”
( and is a most gracious priest!)
61 of 65  -   Report This Post

peterm

12th January 2019, 09:21
Well done, mattrom, and thanks for hosting, tyke. Appreciate the votes from mattrom and rossim, and for being short-listed by aristo, nemo and dorrien. Paul's nifty poem is a bonus.
62 of 65  -   Report This Post

fieryjack

12th January 2019, 13:34
Congratulations Mattrom
Cheers Tyke for hosting and Marty for the vote
63 of 65  -   Report This Post

penda

12th January 2019, 16:29
Hi Sorry again I couldnt reach a keyboard--- will take out a assurance poicy next time. Well done all - interesting to discover the etymology of "desert " and " desserts ". Never mind slattergoogal Thea(o)
64 of 65  -   Report This Post

tyke51

12th January 2019, 18:08
I agonised about choosing `Just Deserts` to clue because I knew anagram possibilities were limited and its definition was narrow - what I liked about it was that the pronunciation of desert in this context (and in the AWOL meaning) was the same as dessert but the spelling implied the Gobi , Sahara etc pronunciation.
Mattrom - I`m pleased the `swallow` clip had a happy ending - Darwin would no doubt have concluded that swallows who ate the flies but didn`t drink the poisoned water would survive and pass on this behaviour to their offspring. As children we always had a budgie as a pet - one was called `Tinker`and he / she lived up to the name - always behaving badly in front of company and swearing ( can`t think where it learned this bad language ! ) It used to sit on your shoulder and peck your ear until you allowed it to share whatever you were eating - it was a much loved little creature!
65 of 65  -   Report This Post