CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

scarlett

9th December 2018, 15:32
Can someone please explain how to get the unchecked letters in the perimeter? I have quite a bit of the grid solved but don't really understand the preamble. An example would help.
1 of 58  -   Report This Post

malone

9th December 2018, 15:37
Scarlett, I've only just started this - and not got very far. I can give you one example...For 3 D, there's a letter dropped from the last word in the clue (to give us the usual, 'for b...) That letter goes down at the bottom of the column. I hope this makes sense

2 of 58  -   Report This Post

scarlett

9th December 2018, 15:42
ok ..i can see that one then. Thanks malone.

For 21d (connection ahead of criminal leaving prison for the street) i have link ? ( probably wrong!) from C link ...but where does "for the street" come into it?
3 of 58  -   Report This Post

malone

9th December 2018, 15:48
I've got the same for 21 D . Maybe 'for the street' just means it's such a slangy word? This is another one with a dropped letter (well, it does for me!)
4 of 58  -   Report This Post

scarlett

9th December 2018, 16:05
Thanks Malone ... yes extra A filled in at bottom ?
5 of 58  -   Report This Post

malone

9th December 2018, 16:12
Yes, that's what I have.
6 of 58  -   Report This Post

scarlett

9th December 2018, 16:21
i think i meant O not A - board > bard ?
7 of 58  -   Report This Post

malone

9th December 2018, 16:26
Sorry, that's what I meant too - I'd needed it for a certain word!
8 of 58  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

10th December 2018, 16:14
Can anyone help get me going again. I've ground to a halt with not much more than thr NW quadrant. Can I have a hint please?

22d Sound of disapproval being less evident at the start (6)
???I??

I'm not sure what's going on with the nine thematic clues. I guess 33a is one of them, but not sure what to put in. As far as I can see the wordplay leads to GOLIARD.
9 of 58  -   Report This Post

malone

10th December 2018, 16:21
Cloverjo, much of the thematic stuff has baffled me too!
22 D - You need 'being' reduced - 'less evident at the start' + a thematic element. The definition is 'sound of disapproval'.

I am in the same position with 33.
10 of 58  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1360