CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

planks

26th August 2018, 09:39
As it's now raining I am revisiting the puzzle. which I quite enjoyed. I'm all done apart from the fact that my playfair grid gives all the expected letters apart from what I assume to be the second pair of 13d. I have M, E and N in the same row, is that correct?
21 of 67  -   Report This Post

meursault

26th August 2018, 09:43
Hi Planks, yes that's correct. The second pair, encoded, gives SN
22 of 67  -   Report This Post

planks

26th August 2018, 09:58
Aaah, now the penny drops. Thanks Meursault!
23 of 67  -   Report This Post

0pt0

26th August 2018, 12:14
All done, except that I cannot parse 4 down, even though the answer seems obvious.
24 of 67  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

26th August 2018, 12:17
First two are the D's, next three is a word for a being, then two for the last word.
25 of 67  -   Report This Post

phantom

26th August 2018, 13:14
It would be appropriate to use one of the stamps issued last week to send your solution in !
26 of 67  -   Report This Post

0pt0

26th August 2018, 14:34
Thanks s_pugh.
27 of 67  -   Report This Post

dryden

26th August 2018, 14:53
It all seemed pretty straightforward to me apart from working out the Playfair code. The information given in the preamble about 17 and 37 didn't seem to be sufficient to construct enough of the playfair grid to deduce the code phrase. Obviously discovering the theme gives one the key, but surely the point of Playfair encoding in a Listener is that the key can be worked out.

Perhaps I didn't persevere for long enough. Did anyone work it out independently of the the theme?
28 of 67  -   Report This Post

gitto

26th August 2018, 16:31
Dryden, I have at least a 50%+ failure rate with playfairs, so I only used the preamble hints to justify my guess. Fortunately, either missing the 3 letter acronym at the front, or using "THE" in error, still gave a couple of matches, so I knew I was on the right track. The final solution is very neat, and if the clues had been towards the upper end of Listener difficulty, I think this would have been a superb puzzle. I know my tunnel vision severely hampered the final switch, but the xword itself was not the most taxing solve this year. Still a vintage year for the listener, and not a bloody hare to be seen or found.
29 of 67  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

26th August 2018, 16:39
Thank you for spoiling my Bank Holiday weekend by mentioning that bloody hare! ;¬)
30 of 67  -   Report This Post