CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

moffat

3rd March 2018, 18:48
Alas we have no Review section here in Cornwall. If anyone could send me a copy of this week's Listener it would be very much appreciated. james@rowhol.demon.co.uk
31 of 130  -   Report This Post

smartie

3rd March 2018, 18:59
I keep copies of all Listener Crosswords for those in need. On it's way Moffat.
32 of 130  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd March 2018, 19:22
Dylan,

In 12dn, "Following endless problems, I have to take drug for distress" (8), the definition is "distress" as a verb. The first four letters of the answer are the first four letters of a five-letter slang word defined by Chambers as "aggressive behaviour or trouble-making, esp. between gangs, racial groups, etc.; problems or difficulties". The other four letters of the answer are the standard contraction of "I have", into which a one-letter abbreviation for a drug is inserted. The first three letters of the answer to 12dn are the same as the first three letters of the answer to 3dn.
33 of 130  -   Report This Post

dylan

3rd March 2018, 20:23
Got it finally! Many thanks
34 of 130  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

3rd March 2018, 21:13
Hope everyone is there now - I thought this was one of the finest Listener constructions in a long time. Totally unambiguous and with so much thematic detail - and some cracking clues. Happy to help with nudges though if anyone is stuck.
35 of 130  -   Report This Post

moffat

3rd March 2018, 21:43
Thank you very much Smartie.
36 of 130  -   Report This Post

smartie

3rd March 2018, 21:53
Happy to help Moffat.
37 of 130  -   Report This Post

xij

3rd March 2018, 23:56
Have a full grid with all the clashes, although not sure yet which way round to put 1d. Now, I haven’t got any idea what to do next. Am I supposed to be looking for 7 letter flowers on and about the clashes? If so, then I’ll give up now, because I’ve been staring at the grid for hours and have only come up with two.
38 of 130  -   Report This Post

smartie

4th March 2018, 00:20
XIJ - I'm pretty sure that T is the first letter of 1d. I then listed all the clashes in 2 columns (either/or) and removed "summer flowers". That left me with 13 letters which I've been staring at for hours seeking a hunter- but it remains elusive. Suggestions would be appreciated!
39 of 130  -   Report This Post

buzzb

4th March 2018, 05:04
T is not the first letter of 1d.

Scramble...
40 of 130  -   Report This Post