CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

planks

3rd March 2018, 15:17
fgsltw, think about the word 'wild'
21 of 130  -   Report This Post

pkd

3rd March 2018, 15:39
Hi fgsltw,

There are scales (Greek) involved, but not the fishy sort.

22 of 130  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

3rd March 2018, 15:55
Thanks all. I think I will abandon the angling idea. Yes, wild surely means anagram but still stuck. Is rose one of them and then I just have to find more? The title baffles me. I guess once I understand the title all will fall into place?
23 of 130  -   Report This Post

planks

3rd March 2018, 16:05
I've finished the puzzle and the title still baffles me at the moment.
24 of 130  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd March 2018, 16:14
I don’t think there’s anything more to the title than the 12 letters that must be replaced by the 12 letters making up the hunter’s usual equipment. 10 of these letters are unchecked, two are checked, and every answer in the final grid is a word or phrase in Chambers except for 49ac.
25 of 130  -   Report This Post

dylan

3rd March 2018, 17:48
Google didn’t get me this thread, so I started another. Please ignore.

My main points were how to parse 1ac and 41ac? and a hint,
Please, for 12 d and 46ac
26 of 130  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd March 2018, 18:10
Hi, Dylan,
In your other post, you said 4ac. This is a two-word phrase (6,4). The answer appears under the first word. There is a second entry for this word, which refers to an alternative spelling. This is a Scottish word meaning “strength”. If you were to an an “o” to the second word, you would get an Australian slang word for cheap wine. The whole phrase is a terrible weapon.

For 41ac, remember who the setter is today. You have a two-letter possessive pronoun referring to the setter, plus the last letter of “lengthening”, all reversed, to give a word meaning “exercises”. The final letter is a clash.

For 12 dn, think of a five-letter word very much like the answer to 3dn, meaning “problems”. In 46ac, the sixth letter is a clash. Think of a five-letter word meaning “mate” (cockney rhyming slang), remove the “h”, then add a common abbreviation for “green” in the environmental sense, and reverse the lot.

Hope this helps. There are indeed 13 clashes.
27 of 130  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd March 2018, 18:16
Dylan, just to clarify, I’m referring to entries in The Chambers Dictionary for 4ac.
28 of 130  -   Report This Post

dylan

3rd March 2018, 18:46
Google didn’t get me this thread, so I started another. Please ignore.

My main points were how to parse 1ac and 41ac? and a hint,
Please, for 12 d and 46ac
29 of 130  -   Report This Post

dylan

3rd March 2018, 18:47
Sorry again for pressing the wrong button. Many thanks, wintonian, for your helpful guidance, but I’m afraid I still don’t get 12d
30 of 130  -   Report This Post