CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

22nd August 2015, 17:26
Cockie - I have put all the numbers in and I have not used 3,4 and 7. This gives two distinct answers for 12Ac and 16Ac. Having said that, I have identical answers for 1Dn and 14Dn - the preamble allows this.
I seem to be struggling with the missing word......any ideas?
11 of 45  -   Report This Post

dryden

22nd August 2015, 17:36
I've assumed they are consecutive, but perhaps they are not, which might explain the impasse I've reached. The clue does not use the expression 'Fibonacci sequence', so I suppose 1,2,5,8,21,34 would meet the clue's requirements, but this widens the field so much for a key clue that I'm not sure that I want to continue experimenting.

In response to cockie and puzzled272, I initially thought the numbers were rotated, but this eliminates 3, 4 and 7 from consideration since those won't rotate to give numbers. Because all my options for 5d included at least one 3, I eliminated rotation of numbers from consideration. If the Fibonacci numbers in 5d are not consecutive, perhaps it's possible to get a sequence without 3 or 4.

Apologies if I have spread confusion rather than light,
12 of 45  -   Report This Post

dryden

22nd August 2015, 17:39
Thanks, unclued.
I will now revert to my original conclusion about 3, 4 and 7 and see where I get.
13 of 45  -   Report This Post

demeter

22nd August 2015, 17:41
Dryden,

5d doesn't require consecutive Fibonacci numbers.
14 of 45  -   Report This Post

unclued

22nd August 2015, 18:00
I have 5d starting 5 and ending 89..
15 of 45  -   Report This Post

keepatit

22nd August 2015, 18:05
Unclued, I am sure your grid fill is correct. It would be a shame to give the word away directly here so soon, as it's a pretty ending. Email me at patmark291 at yahoo dot com for a hint if you like
16 of 45  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

22nd August 2015, 22:47
I thought this was excellent, and nice word across the top. As a relative listener novice the wordy ones are taking me 10-15 hours (with varying degrees of hints from on here). The last number one in May I also enjoyed but took me about 10 hours. This one about 4 hours. Interesting point about the asymmetry of the 1s, which also wouldn't have occurred to me, but is a valid point I think. Two questions from me:

1 some people seem to get access to listener on Friday afternoon - how does one do this?
2 how did kilgore trout know it was going to be a numerical one this week - I guessed it would be from his 'funny you should say that' comment on last weeks thread?
17 of 45  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

22nd August 2015, 22:56
You can get the puzzle on Fridays by subscribing to the Times.
The numericals come up regularly on about the penultimate Saturdays of February, May, August and November.
If anyone is still confused about the 6s and 9s, they do appear in the grid and they are rotated.
18 of 45  -   Report This Post

dryden

23rd August 2015, 15:31
After starting again I finished fairly quickly apart from a temporary hitch with wrong entries for 13a & 15a. I still think the preamble is less than clear. If I enter sixes in a cell and its symmetrical partner, the grid is still symmetrical as normally understood in the crossword world. It might have helped if 'rotational' had appeared after '180-degree'.

I'm also unhappy about the representation of 1, which is more than a trivial issue in this context. If a vertical line is entered to the right of the cell to conform to the display beside the grid, the rotated grid is not an identical image. If the line is entered centrally to give symmetry it no longer conforms to the digital display. There are two wrong solutions and no correct solution.
19 of 45  -   Report This Post

dryden

23rd August 2015, 17:45
Just to qualify my last comment, setters need to be given some latitiude, so I don't think the issue of the number 1 is a serious flaw in the puzzle, but the preamble could have said something like 'lateral placement of numbers with cells' is not important for a correct solution.' After all, at least one solver thought 1 didn't feature at all in the grid, and it was a perfectly reasonable assumption to make, given the absence of 3,4 and 7.
20 of 45  -   Report This Post