CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

18th January 2014, 18:24
Sorry, yes I meant 41a. Perhaps my current "mood" and status is clouding my judgement. :)
11 of 39  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th January 2014, 18:37
Hi both,
the "wiki" entry for 41a suggests a connection and the relevant note (3) refers to a Dictionary of Etymology by Douglas Harper. Is "Harper" a coincidence?
12 of 39  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

18th January 2014, 18:48
I can't see your Note 3 in the Wiki entry, Ginge!
And I don't really see the significance of "Tongue Twisters" as a title --- or is Mr Maltby referring to the effect of these 12 examples?
13 of 39  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

18th January 2014, 18:53
Have now found your Douglas Harper, but I wouldn't make that connection, I don't think.
Anyway I've now mailed the mag asking whether they expect an answer. Who knows, they might even reply...................................
14 of 39  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th January 2014, 18:54
Can't shed any more light I'm afraid. Is the title usually more than a theme?
15 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

18th January 2014, 18:55
Well, that was the one that jumped out at me, ginge, but it still seems awfully tenuous.
16 of 39  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th January 2014, 19:00
Hopefully not giving too much away and thus spoiling this for anyone else, this is the sentence from the "wiki" entry that might be relevant. I certainly was unaware of such a connection before now:
Conflation of amaro and amore ("love") is primarily responsible for the associations with romance.[3]
17 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

18th January 2014, 19:03
Yeah, saw that, and it would seem to be the most likely candidate, but usually when an answer for something like this is called for there's an obvious penny-dropping moment. Know what I mean?
18 of 39  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th January 2014, 19:09
Know exactly what you mean, hopefully GK will get a response. Re my earlier question (for future reference) are supplementaries or grid transformations (like "Listeners") commonplace?
19 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

18th January 2014, 19:22
Some of them have required answers like this, and quite a few are more complex, requiring some kind of alteration to be entered in the grid. See last month's, for example; I thought it was particularly good. These are usually quite easy to do, but a delight, with charming and witty clues.
20 of 39  -   Report This Post